Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and can't find the thread I'm looking for. I thought there was one breaking down the differences by years. Anything wrong with a 2001 5.3 LS engine? Not looking to do anything too serious with it, just swap it into my S10. Found one with relatively low miles at a decent price.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Anything else to look for? I thought there was something about the reluctor wheel? 24 vs. 58 or something? Which is better and what would a 2001 have?

·
Registered
197 Posts
We have an 01 Suburban with 145,000 miles and the 5.3 runs great. Has used a quart of oil per 4000 miles since it was almost new.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I bought it. Heads are 862. Any thoughts on them?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
862 have a ton of meat for porting and the smaller chambers cause them to be a great choice for LS1 builds ported by TEA an other companies.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are the 862s any good for boost or should I look for something different? I want to keep this a low budget project so I would like to keep them. (I know, I said "low budget" and "boost" in the same sentence...:p)

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Set a build budget out first, dont willy nilly through a boost build buying stuff on a whim. Then set a hp goal or an et goal on the car/truck and im sure you'll get pointed in the right direction. Theres always a worse, and a better pair of heads, just depends on budget and goals

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
My 01 5.3 was losing coolant slowly. Added stop leak flakes in the radiator about 5 years ago and has not lost a drop since. It does use a quart of oil every 1000 miles and piston slap on start up. Runs well though with 145,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Set a build budget out first, dont willy nilly through a boost build buying stuff on a whim. Then set a hp goal or an et goal on the car/truck and im sure you'll get pointed in the right direction. Theres always a worse, and a better pair of heads, just depends on budget and goals
I understand what you're saying. I don't have an exact dollar number in mind and I will have to buy parts a little at a time, as budget allows. Here is the situation. Right now the truck has a bone stock 350 crate motor in it. It's probably less than 300 hp. I'm not sure, it was in it when I bought it. It has a TCI street fighter TH350. No idea what converter. I bought this '01 5.3. I would like to get it in there and put a turbo on it just to get my feet wet. I have never had a boosted car. I'm sure I would be happy with whatever hp numbers it will put out. I don't need to make some magic number, just be a substantial improvement over what's in it now. Is there someone I should call to help me? Lil John? Anyone else? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
The hardest part of doing an LS swap is getting the platform LS ready which is mostly work, not dollars. If your going to boost then you really need these two things to be GOOD

1. fuel system
2. tune up

Those trump all other aspects of a boosted build. Look into denmahs builds for budget friendly ideas and parts.

If it were me? Id run that engine as is and build the boost bits up as good as possible/afford and go. Only real risk is taking out a pricey turbine with broken engine bitties but the rest of the stuff will survive multiple engines if need be

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think to avoid buying parts twice, I'd think about whether you want to go 8's, 9's, or 10's (or 11's).
It runs 14's now... 10's would make me very happy.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Easy solution, credit card in hand, call vendor of choice, done. Just dont get too upset when the engine gos boom ( sooner or later they ALL do )

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Agree they always pop at some point. My 4.8 has 862 heads. I didn't even pull a valve cover. Bone stock everything except ls1 intake and bigger fuel injectors. Went 11.67 @ 123 with a shitty 2.0 60' and that's in a 3615 lb car. Total cost for engine swap and turbo shit was right at $5000.

·
Registered
17,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agree they always pop at some point. My 4.8 has 862 heads. I didn't even pull a valve cover. Bone stock everything except ls1 intake and bigger fuel injectors. Went 11.67 @ 123 with a shitty 2.0 60' and that's in a 3615 lb car. Total cost for engine swap and turbo shit was right at $5000.
That's good info. Single? Twins? Size? Transmission? Electronics...etc...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts