Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it come out the bottom or the front? I dont have a hoist and low cieling! Do i pass on this job?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Regardless of where it comes out I would pass.

The last one i did, I took out the front, but that was a number of years ago. I pulled the cooling stack, grille, bumper, all that shit out of the way. Cherry picker on a carb plate to get the closest I could get to the top of the engine. Your mileage may vary.

I've also pulled them by pulling the dashboard and pulling the engine out through the doghouse/passenger's side front door.

Is it gas or diesel?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The last one i did, I took out the front, but that was a number of years ago. I pulled the cooling stack, grille, bumper, all that shit out of the way. Cherry picker on a carb plate to get the closest I could get to the top of the engine. Your mileage may vary.
I've did a Ford E450 6.0 that way. About the only way on a box truck with the box over hanging the cab.

I've also pulled them by pulling the dashboard and pulling the engine out through the doghouse/passenger's side front door.

Is it gas or diesel?
Sounds like a nightmare. I try to pass on vans as much as possible when it comes to big jobs like that.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Out the front, not the worst job I've done

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Astros aren't that bad because you can drop the subframe. G-series is not as friendly.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I learned an easy way years ago while working at the GM dealership. After disconnecting everything needed for removal I would raise the ass end to the point where it's almost vertical and drop the engine/trans out as one assembly using a large heavy-duty tranny jack. I could have them out on the ground in a little over an hour.

·
Registered
15,123 Posts

Early Astro's and the later Astro's 1995 and up are out the bottom.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I dont know about the the newer vans but, on the older full size, I used to pull the driver side engine mount tower. It would give me an extra couple inches of room at the top. Like most everybody else said, out through the front. Only exception is on the older ford vans when the engine was offset a little. Pulled those out through the passenger side door.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've done quite a few. Comes out the front. Take intake off and tie it as close as you can, its still tight, leave frontend on jackstands its easier that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts