Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Voyager se rally. It has the 3.3 engine and the trans has a switch to turn off the over drive. The trans was rebuilt and shifts great, but may have 40-50k on it. The motor runs good but the van is other wise shot.

My sister gave me a 2000 Dodge Caravan. also with the 3.3 engine. 145k miles. She had the valve body on the trans replaced due to a fluid leak at a general service garage. It is throwing a code for torque converter solenoid circuit. I believe the code started after the valve body replacement, but i do not know for sure. It shifts rough, bangs and shudders. especially after it is warmed up.

I tried driving it in third gear, but it goes into a limp mode after a few miles.

A trans shop said another valve body and torque converter might fix it, but do to the miles they wanted to do a full rebuild. A reflash was also mentioned.

Can i swap the 95 trans into the 2000? The trans shop's pocket reference book said they should both have the same trans in them. Is this a doable swap? Are the cases the same? would i have to swap the 2000 valve body into the 95 trans? The 2000 is ob2 the 95 is not. It will not pass Pa inspection with the check engine light on.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
what is the code 74?.......might get away with a sol pack and do a quick learn on trans.....high mileage is prob bad converter.....95 and 2000 might retro fit just make sure your older one has the 3 bolt mount in the back and crank sensor is the same......you might have to have a special converter too....you will need a 90* with the 2 lugs for pump gears?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The code is PO 740 Tourqe converter clutch solenoid circuit.

A guy on another fourm said the 95 trans would be missing the mounting bosses on the rear of the case. And I confirmed that today. There is a place here that will pay 13 cents a pound for complete vehicles. That is starting to look pretty good.

Rock auto's site says the solenoid packs are the same, but the converters and flex plates are different #'s.

I guess I could look in to a used tran's. How much of a pia are the 2000 caravans to r and r the transmission? In the driveway. :(

·
Registered
566 Posts
A P0740 is usually an electrical problem. Swap soleniod packs and do a quick learn if possible and see what happens. If code comes back, its either internal or wiring harness (usually the part under the battery), or TCM.
good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts