Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes I know, but this is the spot with smart truck people, without the POS loser know it all's!!!

What would you do to improve performance.
Truck weighs ~12-14,000 lbs.
Not racing performance, getting on the highway, better drive ability, towing a 20 foot trailer.

I know it's just a truck, but I don't want to get my ass ran over trying to drive around Chicago land and the idiots that drive here.

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yea, the damn valve is dead, you don't get very far on only one 20 gallon tank :(
Especially when you are running the generator for hours at a time :(

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,192 Posts
20 gallon tank...wow, that sucks, you'll be stopping a lot.
I don't think there is much you can do to gain any mileage, those gas engines aren't like diesels.

Do you have diesel emission testing in your area?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
A good free flowing g exhaust such as a quality set of headers, true dials and free flowing cats really helped a buddies rig. Also I believe he went to 4.10s instead of 3.73 gears which helped with the hills. Might also look into a decent tune. But I do know the exhaust really helped bigtime. He is looking at a cam change next or so he has mentioned. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Whipple makes a kit for the big blocks. My dad ran one, plus the exhaust and a jet chip? 4x4 suburban was running 12.8’s tower the 32’ sea ray like it was nothing. Believe it was a ‘00

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I decided I'm buying a newer truck.
This will be a spare, so I'm not spending a dime I don't have to.
2012 or newer F550 is what I'm saving up for next.

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Absolutely, 6.7 is bad ass. I loved the '15 & '17 I drove when retired.

·
Registered
112 Posts
12 valve swap the 00. Save a ton of cash. Use a 2000 series Allison out of a school bus. Put a Duramax output housing on the 2000 series. Use the schools bus tcm for the trans control. power to spare. 6th gear to give you 1750 rpm towing at 75 mph. Need more. Put stand alone vgt turbo and controller on the 12 valve. Use the original gas ecm to send throttle data and rpm signal to the tcm. Good to go...

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

You missed my latest plan!!
I'm saving up for a newer F-550, this will be my emergency back up truck, there is no way in hell I'm doing all that.

·
T/S 368E
28,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I bought a 2012 F-550 and it threw a code while they were getting it prepped.
Took forever to fix the damn thing and the next thing I know he sold it for $10,000 more.
Of course after I already started buying the equipment I needed to make it fit my needs,
so I had to find another truck, and couldn't find any 6.7's I could afford.

So when the D-350 started dying, I grabbed this because it had a 454" and the 14' bed which I prefer.

I still want to get a 6.7 truck, but it's winter now, less income, just bought an RV for work and it's going to cost ~$20,000
to get my no-box car running, and who knows how much the T/S car will cost getting the new engine dialed in??
So I'm stuck with this for awhile.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Ford SVO injectors red tops, 502 / 502 cam and a tune. These engines are so choked to be emissions compliant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts