Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 24 Valve Cummins 2500 with 136,000 miles that is bone stock. It has an Auto that seems really sound (Shifts great, fluid is good color and doesn't smell at all). Im looking to up my fuel mileage some and make a little more power but not enough to tear up this Automatic trans. What Programmer exhaust CAI should I be looking at?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Exhaust doesn't do didly, maybe put a resonator or a straight thru muffler on it.
The auto will like it better if you don't put a box on it.
Rearend gears are going affect milelage the most.

·
Wild Addiction
2,299 Posts
look into a good lift pump, if you can find one a Edge easy is a 65hp box or IMO the best box for a VP truck was a edge drag comp,...but your trans wont like it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You can do one mod with the stock turbo and still keep egt's reasonable (below 1300 and below 1200 is better--I have seen #6 melt from prolonged running at 1300. The trans won't like the Edge EZ box as well as RV injectors because the EZ adds more torque. The RV injectors (Bosch part number -635, iirc) add about 50 HP on the dyno to an automatic equipped engine.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So RV injectors add more power just changing to them? I never heard that. I heard the Edge EZ was a good box to start with. After Driving this thing some I think a Converter and programming the trans would help. Is it possible to program/Tune just the trans on this thing?

A new lift pump helps by itself? Im curious how that works. I am new to this diesel crap and just want to learn a few things about them.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I know when I was big into diesels, it seemed the smarty box was the way to go.

·
Wild Addiction
2,299 Posts
So RV injectors add more power just changing to them? I never heard that. I heard the Edge EZ was a good box to start with. After Driving this thing some I think a Converter and programming the trans would help. Is it possible to program/Tune just the trans on this thing?

A new lift pump helps by itself? Im curious how that works. I am new to this diesel crap and just want to learn a few things about them.
yes you can add the RV injectors but again a box will give you more bang for the buck, your trans is a 47RE and there is no trans tune for them, the converter is a weal link along with the rest of the trans when you start adding power, lift pump will give no extra power, it will help the VP44 ( injection pump) live longer, the factory lift pumps are known to crap out, and if it get driven after the pump quits or runs low fuel pressure then it can and will take out the injection pump, and give you a code P216, reading fuel pressure is always a good idea.

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
Just take the muffler off and leave the pipe open, you wont see any real gain using a stock turbo and having a big exhaust, if you want more power you will end up rebulding the tranny as they are barely good for a stock truck. If its still something you want look at TST products.com.

·
Wild Addiction
2,299 Posts
How will I know when the lift pump starts to go? Again, I am new to this, be patient.. LOL
you will need a fuel pressure Gage, if you turn the key on ( don't start it) bump the starter you may or may not hear the lift pump running

you can also check for codes, key on and off 3 times on the 3 time leave it on and check codes in the OD window

1 - 13 of 13 Posts