Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 159 Posts

·
Maderator
16,155 Posts
I have no dog in this fight but does anyone notice that the people fighting FOR methanol are the ones who have already spent money for an alcohol setup yet haven't ever run it.
Long long time methanol user here, everything from blown and NA top dragster stuff to 12 second sportsman bracket cars, what I’ve noticed are that the ones that talk about how bad methanol is are the ones that have never burned a drop of it.

·
Registered
63,723 Posts
alky would want more area, a tight quench doesn't work well....and some say lower the CR, you will use a lot more alky then you would with gas so make room for it.
Your post backs up what another poster had added to the other thread of the same title in the "let's talk drag racing" section, that the OP had made.

He mentioned talking with a known engine builder who had said that the smaller chamber of the Sr20 heads is the limiting factor when using alcohol. Granted, this is the opinion of one builder.

"Room" -- makes sense. Damn I like learning new stuff!!

·
Registered
63,723 Posts
The timing is at 35. I have been all over with it and I think 35 is best. I am sure that the temp is still at 165 when I stage. I do look at it, but a minute or so goes by and I have a lot of shit going on.
Okay

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Your post backs up what another poster had added to the other thread of the same title in the "let's talk drag racing" section, that the OP had made.

He mentioned talking with a known engine builder who had said that the smaller chamber of the Sr20 heads is the limiting factor when using alcohol. Granted, this is the opinion of one builder.

Agreed, and I know the builder. But, go back to what I stated before. Was the combo built specifically for alky? Learning new stuff here too, that's a good thing. But to that point, if that is the case, then an alky specific build would take that into consideration. So it SHOULD be a non-issue. But a typical build may not allow for that, creating the problem.....

·
Wild Addiction
2,293 Posts

Sonnys told me they will angle cut the Quench area different from alky to gas, and BES told me the same when they built my 440 sbc, if the quench is too tight it will push it past the rings

·
Registered
63,723 Posts
Agreed, and I know the builder. But, go back to what I stated before. Was the combo built specifically for alky? Learning new stuff here too, that's a good thing. But to that point, if that is the case, then an alky specific build would take that into consideration. So it SHOULD be a non-issue. But a typical build may not allow for that, creating the problem.....
Actually, I feel your combo is 'currently' the best "real world experiment" that we all can learn from. I guess the only question remains is this --- are you willing to invest the time and resources in order to maximize it for alcohol, from it's "gas" set up?

·
Registered
63,723 Posts
Sonnys told me they will angle cut the Quench area different from alky to gas, and BES told me the same when they built my 440 sbc, if the quench is too tight it will push it past the rings
Adding to the file.

Makes sense as you can't compress a liquid ... which the fuel/air column of alky has more fuel droplets Vs gas.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Actually, I feel your combo is 'currently' the best "real world experiment" that we all can learn from. I guess the only question remains is this --- are you willing to invest the time and resources in order to maximize it for alcohol, from it's "gas" set up?
Kinda already in the process. Going to be getting more head work done next year and a different cam as well.

Kind of interesting how this topic is evolving. Some good info here and food for thought.

·
I kill parts
9,735 Posts
Now that could make more sense to me, as we were tighter quench on alky but both have been with a 7* softening thusly maybe why I didn't run into any issues with it.

·
Registered
14,435 Posts
Adding to the file.

Makes sense as you can't compress a liquid ... which the fuel/air column of alky has more fuel droplets Vs gas.
Doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
14,435 Posts
When you say "push past the rings" do you mean as in detonation?

·
Registered
14,435 Posts

The SR20 heads aren't that much smaller than a 24* deal and they still have the same basic shape. Certainly nothing like a spread port head and there are plenty of those making BIG power on alky.

·
Registered
14,435 Posts
If I had knowledge that I learned through my own experience, I would make recommendations, but I don’t. All I know is people I race with that have run alcohol on sr20 and spreadport combinations are slower than gas. One is a dyno verified 40hp down from a non-oxygenated gas with 12* heads. I’m just making a point that the internet can totally screw people out of lots of money by people making recommendations that don’t really know... I genuinely hope your deal runs as you hope but my personal opinion is you will be dissappointed.
I've talked a few customers out of alcohol. I asked them why they wanted to run it and they sort of shrugged their shoulders and said sort of askingly...'cause everyone else is running it? I've always believed that gasoline can make better power. There may be other reasons for running alky, but I've never believed, especially n/a, that power was one of them.
JMO

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've talked a few customers out of alcohol. I asked them why they wanted to run it and they sort of shrugged their shoulders and said sort of askingly...'cause everyone else is running it? I've always believed that gasoline can make better power. There may be other reasons for running alky, but I've never believed, especially n/a, that power was one of them.
JMO
Scott,
You are muddying the water. Please take a stance one way or the other.:)
See your post on Page 1, post 3.

·
Registered
14,435 Posts
Scott,
You are muddying the water. Please take a stance one way or the other.:)
See your post on Page 1, post 3.
Was just answering the question, not expressing my "opinion". Personally, I hate methanol.

61 - 80 of 159 Posts