Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at going with a 20 degree set up and have had mixed opinions on if it will work well with methanol. Some say no problem others say won't run right. Does cam selection have affect on this?

·
Registered
14,579 Posts
I'm looking at going with a 20 degree set up and have had mixed opinions on if it will work well with methanol. Some say no problem others say won't run right. Does cam selection have affect on this?
I'd like to hear their reasoning. No reason what so ever it shouldn't work very well.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a local engine builder that also races and he switched to sr20's and they couldn't get it to run right. Said it lost over a 100hp and was missing. No idea why.

Have the people saying it won't work actually run methanol with your head combo?
Do the people saying it won't work ever run methanol?
Said something about fuel puddling for some reason.

I'd like to hear their reasoning. No reason what so ever it shouldn't work very well.
I'm fine with giving up a (little) peformance as long as it is consistent and runs properly.

Not a mater whether it will work well should run fine. It may or may not run fastest with methanol, that depends on the cars combination, RPM range, gear, converter stall....

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the ignition could have been the issue with some of them. Maybe the extra fuel the better heads pull wouldn't light.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Back in the day when Larry Olsen was selling heads ect. We used a set of his # 510 heads and sheetmetal intake on my 540" BBC , I beleave they were 15 degrees. They flowed over 500 at 750 lift. With a birdcatcher hat and injectors near the base of the intake. The engine made a little over 1100 Hp. on an honest Dyno. With Alki. as the fuel.
;)

·
Registered
940 Posts
3 months ago, I switched from dual dominators (race gas) on my 605 BBC with Brodix SR20 heads to alcohol injection. I have been testing and tuning it for 45 passes so far, and I believe the tune is as good as it is going to get, and it hasn’t ran quicker than it did the dual carbs. And I don’t think it will. I made the change because I am struggling to run 8.60 when it is hot in Vegas at 5,500’ DA. I am almost $7,000 into this setup (including new fuel system and ignition upgrades) and I am not very happy. I have been in constant contact with James Monroe (and he has been great) but I am starting to wonder if my combination just doesn’t like the alcohol. Before I made the purchase, I did ask James about the 20 degree heads, because I heard that I may not pick up anything, but he said that he has several customers with 20 degree heads and it worked well for them. Anyway, I am still .10 slower than my carbs at the same track and elevation. The engine runs good, just a little slower. Some basic info on my combo is below:

1954 Chevy Pickup
Tube chassis 3,400 lbs
605 BBC
15-1 Compression
Brodix SR-20 Heads w/tit. Valves
T&D rockers
.930/.873 lift, 283/306 @ 113
Mikes T-400 trans
4.30 gear
33/15/15 slicks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input and sucks that it hasn't done what you were after.

3 months ago, I switched from dual dominators (race gas) on my 605 BBC with Brodix SR20 heads to alcohol injection. I have been testing and tuning it for 45 passes so far, and I believe the tune is as good as it is going to get, and it hasn’t ran quicker than it did the dual carbs. And I don’t think it will. I made the change because I am struggling to run 8.60 when it is hot in Vegas at 5,500’ DA. I am almost $7,000 into this setup (including new fuel system and ignition upgrades) and I am not very happy. I have been in constant contact with James Monroe (and he has been great) but I am starting to wonder if my combination just doesn’t like the alcohol. Before I made the purchase, I did ask James about the 20 degree heads, because I heard that I may not pick up anything, but he said that he has several customers with 20 degree heads and it worked well for them. Anyway, I am still .10 slower than my carbs at the same track and elevation. The engine runs good, just a little slower. Some basic info on my combo is below:

1954 Chevy Pickup
Tube chassis 3,400 lbs
605 BBC
15-1 Compression
T&D rockers
Mikes T-400 trans
4.30 gear
33/15/15 slicks

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine actually picked up .1 when I switched to methanol but I think my induction system is lacking and that's probably why. I had some alky carb guys tell me the better the induction the less it would gain and that big chief style engines will actually lose a little et.

I will say that it runs super cool now. Hard to keep it warm.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I was actually hoping that my dominators weren’t tuned just right and I left something on the table there, so it would definitely pick up on alcohol once it is dialed in. Didn’t happen......yet.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
This is an interesting read. I have ALWAYS picked up at least 2-3 tenths min, and 40+ dyno hp min. But... all my feedback has come from 23 deg sbc's. Not exotic stuff either. 355-406's run of the mill solid roller engines, high cr. and ported, older- 23 deg heads. Whether it was a switch to an alky BLP carb, Ron's toliet, or IR-Hilborn all have picked up a bunch in progression from the 3 different alky methods mentioned with the IR-runner being the highest, at over 60hp on one engine. I have netted the same results on BBC, but again, the motors were 427-468 with ported iron (990) heads. going from TR-660's to Crower stack on alky. But again these were not 600+cid sr-20 engines. And all motors before I ran on C-110. Maybe C-125 or oxygen carrying gas then switching to alky gives diminishing returns? I would be interested to seeing why your motor feel off? Super cool your saying? First thing I thought was way to fat? But sounds like you been through the tune.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

1954 Chevy Pickup
Tube chassis 3,400 lbs
605 BBC
15-1 Compression
T&D rockers
Mikes T-400 trans
4.30 gear
33/15/15 slicks

After reading the article posted, have you considered trying a different cam?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts