Yellow Bullet Forums banner

-20 AN challenge

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  RJAZE 
#1 ·
Is it just me or are these impossible? The bigger the fitting it seems the harder they are to do. Also my AN wrench went to shit. It spread and just slips off and uglified my fitting. Whats the secret?

#5 ·
I never had a problem putting together an lines until recently. Anyone else find it to be a bitch to get aeroquip fittings to start recently? I think it is the hose. Sometimes they still are easy, but start a new roll of hose then you struggle 30 minutes to do one fitting.

#16 · (Edited)
That is true, if you are tempted to buy the cheap hose you will have fitment issues, I did, and now I only get the good stuff. You can make the cheap hose work, just go around it twice before you cut it with masking tape, cut with a high speed cut-off wheel slowly and leave the tape ON so the hose won't start to fray, put your fittings on and clean the hose interior and you are done. Don't forget to use oil. Dave

#7 ·
I always felt its the oppositte, the smaller ones are always a pain to me, the bigger ones seem easier to me. I hate doing -3,-4,-6 and -8 and up seem easier. I always use wd-40 on the hose,fittings and threads to make it easier to assemble.

#14 ·
I noticed many brand of fittings are made stupidly

If a fitting is a -12 then why are they not -12 where it needs to be assembled or
atleast an AN size ? I have a -12 yesterday and the part that needs to be wrenched for tightening is not even an AN size ,so I have to use an adjustable wrench instead of a non scratching Alum wrench......Dummys

#19 ·
I'm using Titan brand fittings which is the same as Jegs house brand. They go together fine but I get down to the last five threads and it stops. I use engine assembly moly , WD -40 it just won't go any further without mauling the fitting. And of course I'm one of those guys that can't have a boogered up part anywhere on the car or it will bug the shit out of me. Ive had no issues with any other sizes of that brand. Nothing has leaked or given me any trouble until I got the -20 for.my lower radiator hose

#24 ·
Trivia...
You know what those numbers mean, right??? -4, -6, etc.

It's 1/16ths of an inch!

-4 = 4/16" or 1/4"
-6 = 6/16" or 3/8"
-8 = 8/16" or 1/2"

If you didn't already know... Now you do. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.