Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Is it only good for diaphragm clutches or adjustable units?
Guys also use my clutch hit controllers on adjustable Soft Lok's, Nex-Gen's, Boninfante's... They basically remove the weights, crank up the base just enough to hold high gear, then use my external controllers to momentarily hold back just enough base to optimize clutch slip during launch. Being able to control clutch hit intensity independent of RPM eliminates the need to compromise launch energy with a 2-step. A side benefit is the clutch hit after shifts ends up softer without the centrifugal weights, so less energy gets spent creating wheelspeed spikes after clutchless shifts.

Grant

My Hitmaster system is designed to work specifically with hydraulic clutches. Since you can dial in the intensity of the hit separately from holding in high gear, many customers don't need a 2-step as they can launch off the high side limiter.

Grant
You lost me here with "launch off the high side limiter." My stocker leaves somewhere between 5,100 and 6,000 depending on my set up. I go through the lights at about 7,800 to 8,000 depending on the air. My high side is set at 8,200. This is using a SoftLok McLeod.

Are you saying that I would be able to leave at 8,200 with your set up? I think my crew chief (dad) would stroke out at the line listening to that.

You lost me here with "launch off the high side limiter." My stocker leaves somewhere between 5,100 and 6,000 depending on my set up. I go through the lights at about 7,800 to 8,000 depending on the air. My high side is set at 8,200. This is using a SoftLok McLeod.

Are you saying that I would be able to leave at 8,200 with your set up? I think my crew chief (dad) would stroke out at the line listening to that.
When you look at "G" trace data, note that the G level is higher while a clutch is pulling the engine down against WOT. That's because the rotating assy is releasing stored energy as the engine loses rpm. That energy release makes the car accelerate at a faster rate while the clutch is pulling the engine down, it gives the car a little "boost" of acceleration rate until the engine stops losing rpm.

Considering a 8200 launch contains 159% more stored energy than a 5100 launch, you have to ask yourself why your stocker doesn't leave at a higher rpm. The answer is probably that your current clutch tune is rpm sensitive, and 5100-6000 puts your stocker in it's clutch hit intensity sweet spot. Leaving that low i doubt your engine loses much rpm during launch, so not much energy release on launch to take advantage of. You probably see quite a bit of "boost" in the G trace when the engine loses rpm on the gear changes though, probably enough to cause wheelspeed spikes.

My ClutchTamer and Hitmaster products allow you to adjust clutch hit intensity independent of rpm. Leaving at 8200rpm allows you to take advantage of the "boost" that you get from letting the clutch pull stored energy out of the rotating assy, without drawing the engine down below it's torque peak. That added launch energy also allows you to choose a 1st gear that isn't quite as steep, which in-turn nets you closer gear splits.

Grant

When you look at "G" trace data, note that the G level is higher while a clutch is pulling the engine down against WOT. That's because the rotating assy is releasing stored energy as the engine loses rpm. That energy release makes the car accelerate at a faster rate while the clutch is pulling the engine down, it gives the car a little "boost" of acceleration rate until the engine stops losing rpm.

Considering a 8200 launch contains 159% more stored energy than a 5100 launch, you have to ask yourself why your stocker doesn't leave at a higher rpm. The answer is probably that your current clutch tune is rpm sensitive, and 5100-6000 puts your stocker in it's clutch hit intensity sweet spot. Leaving that low i doubt your engine loses much rpm during launch, so not much energy release on launch to take advantage of. You probably see quite a bit of "boost" in the G trace when the engine loses rpm on the gear changes though, probably enough to cause wheelspeed spikes.

My ClutchTamer and Hitmaster products allow you to adjust clutch hit intensity independent of rpm. Leaving at 8200rpm allows you to take advantage of the "boost" that you get from letting the clutch pull stored energy out of the rotating assy, without drawing the engine down below it's torque peak. That added launch energy also allows you to choose a 1st gear that isn't quite as steep, which in-turn nets you closer gear splits.

Grant
I get the part about the extra stored energy, but NHRA approved Stock Eliminator valve train components for my combo won't allow my engine to live at that RPM for a sustained amount of time. For example waiting on the tree to drop and doing this round after round.

Do you think there would be any
Do you think there would be any application of your products in the 4 wheel drive truck pulling classes that use a clutch? They leave around 6500 RPM and up.
Crower centrifical clutch. With pedal.
I used a McCloud pedal clutch and feel / watch everything in the first part of the run. Having driven both. The crower is worth the money.

Dont forget to set the switch at the point you want the 2 step off At what point of the clutch engagement to you want it off

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.