Yellow Bullet Forums banner

2 step with a stick shift question

10K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Jim Wiens 
#1 ·
Hello all,

For those running a two step rev limiter with a stick, how do you have it set up? I have seen a switch on the clutch pedal and one on the trans linkage so it only engages when clutch is in, and trans in first gear. I have also seen it wired for clutch switch engaged, then when you push the line lock it engages the 2 step, and it also holds the line lock as long as the clutch is in so the line lock and 2 step are released when you let the clutch out. What are people running? Anyone do it different?

Thanks

#2 ·
I run a switch on the clutch pedal that is wired into a latching relay to activate the 2 step and line lock. Once the pedal is pushed in you just have to tap the switch once and it remains activated until you let the clutch out.

#3 ·
There are different ways of doing it. On my Camaro I have it tied in to my line lock button on my shifter but on a switch. Once I do the burnout, I flip the switch and then it is armed to the line lock. Been like that for 22 years so I am used to it. On my Corvette I wired it a clutch pedal switch and still have the line lock on the shifter. Eventually I will put a clutch pedal switch on the Camaro. There is no right or wrong way, just what you would prefer and are used to.

#7 ·
I have mine setup with a toggle switch in the activation wire of the 2-step. When the switch is off (For burnout) and I activate the line lock, the two step is not active. Then I turn the switch on (for launch) and when I active the line lock, the 2 step is active. Seems to work ok for now but I'm new to racing a stick car so I'm sure there will be a learning curve.

#8 ·
I have a old Jake Brake clutch switch on my firewall, that is engaged when the clutch pedal is depressed all the way to the floor, that activates my 2 step. I powershift my caruck, and the gas stays matted once the lights start to come down, stays down until I cross the stripe. I just blip the clutch pedal slightly between shifts.
You can hear me get on the 2 step, once the lights start down in this video.

#16 ·
You don't want the switch on the pedal if you need to use the clutch to change gears. Try as might to only tap the clutch part way on shifts it would hit the limiter which almost put me through the windshield when shifting at 7200 and the engine falls back to 4000 just as i shift. Having it activate only in first gear with line lock engaged is a safe method.

I actually have a Three Step for my car. Never hooked up that third step and haven't figured out how or why i would.

#28 ·
Do you think there would be any
Do you think there would be any application of your products in the 4 wheel drive truck pulling classes that use a clutch? They leave around 6500 RPM and up.
Crower centrifical clutch. With pedal.
I used a McCloud pedal clutch and feel / watch everything in the first part of the run. Having driven both. The crower is worth the money.

#29 ·
Dont forget to set the switch at the point you want the 2 step off At what point of the clutch engagement to you want it off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.