Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
454,,,,2-bolt main bolt if half filled with block hardener i wouldn't be afraid of 1100 HP...:cool:

hell you got sbc 2-bolt main blocks pushing 1200 hp here and been living for 4 yrs +!

·
"Made" Member
2,860 Posts
750HP is as far as most go with 2 bolt main blocks
so you have room for approx 13 more HP .....:cool:

i have some titanium buckles for 2 bolt mains if your interested ill give you an awesome deal on them.....

corey

·
T/S 368E
35,375 Posts

Don't know about SBC stuff. I have seen a couple of 2 bolt blown alcohol BBC that were pushing 1500 HP.
Had all good stuff, just needed a block quickly, so he did what he had to.

·
Senior Frog
10,447 Posts
454,,,,2-bolt main bolt if half filled with block hardener i wouldn't be afraid of 1100 HP...:cool:

hell you got sbc 2-bolt main blocks pushing 1200 hp here and been living for 4 yrs +!

borrowed time my friend,borrowed time.........
I saw major cap walk with 4 bolt main blocks , 2 bolt blocks
must be running not walking...
If you can secure the caps I suppose you can push it more

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info I am just trying to finish out the year with a bang not literally I have a big m just buying all the parts to finish it. What I am trying to do is the motor is on methanol and I have a seperate fuel system with 116 and only spraying 53 jets on a big shot plate guess we will see what happens.btw the mains do have studs

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
A few years back Chevy HiPerformance did a nitrous 468 based on an OEM 2 bolt 454 block with a girdle. They sprayed 2-stages for approx 1200 hp. Ran multiple passes in a second gen Camaro. No issues.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess it's one of those old wife's tales "gotta have 4 bolt mains and 4340 cranks to make over 750 hp"...........................I have 477 with 2 pro race foggers: 2 bolt mains, factory GM steel crank, running 9's in a 4000 lb truck!!!!!!!! may not make it past the next run but I have about 35 passes on it!!!!!!!!!! the key I think is hardware! buy the good rods and bolts.

·
Banned
3,102 Posts
I guess it's one of those old wife's tales "gotta have 4 bolt mains and 4340 cranks to make over 750 hp"...........................I have 477 with 2 pro race foggers: 2 bolt mains, factory GM steel crank, running 9's in a 4000 lb truck!!!!!!!! may not make it past the next run but I have about 35 passes on it!!!!!!!!!! the key I think is hardware! buy the good rods and bolts.
Im going to have to agree here.
Everything that is good is no longer when the new product becomes available. GM 7/16 rods with ARP's 8740 bolts were the ticket back then to over 1000hp without problem. Rarely hear of some one snaping a rod in half or pulling the threads on the bolts sending them through the block. Introduce the new hbeams and now they are the ticket also ( same bolts). Come a new year introducing the ARP2000 and now the oldschool rods including the hbeams are only good to 750. Introduce the L19 and everything over 750 should get them.
Half of this crap is marketing to a certain crowd. Everyone wants whats in or whats safe, or what the next topfueler is using.
However with everything there is a point where you should not sacrafice safety and reliability. Problem is whats true and whats false, whats needed and whats not. More importantly whose lining their pockets.

·
Registered
355 Posts
We used to run 2 bolt blocks years ago that were 468's and 496's and we shot them with 200 on a very regular basis without issue. Heck that was back in the late 80's and early 90's with stock steel cranks in the 468's and stock steel offset gound 1/4 strokes in the 496's:eek:

·
Registered
517 Posts
My 496 BBC is a 2-Bolt, I just got my self a Main Girdle... good investment right there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts