Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Smoked another BBF
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do i need to run 2 batteries? (turbo street car)
1. water pump /motor
2. water pump /cooler
3. fans/ motor,oil cooler
4. fuel pump
5. oil pump for turbo
6. msd
7.air pump for power valve
8.lights etc.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
What MSD unit are you running...

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
ok, since this is a street ride. Yeah, just put an alt on it. 50 amp should be plenty, but I only used one in a dragster running a crossover box/TS timer and ignition system, along w/ a couple of other things. I was running a bigger ignition system on my full bodied car and needed 2 bats.

Other people may say just put a 100 amp on it and forget about it, so you don't need to worry about adding stuff later. But like I said, your application is different than I am used to.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Give these guys a call http://www.ecae.com/ They are family friends and racers. They should be able to get you going in the right direction.

·
Aviation Section
25,487 Posts
If it is a street car why not?, one of the worst feelings you can have is to be in the lanes on a hot day and the car won't turn over fast enough to fire, since that happened to me years ago on a street/strip car I have always had dual.

The Pro Mod that I crew on has only one lightweight Braile and we treat it like gold because a little weight makes a BIG difference in this type of car and we charge it every time between rounds. On my Buick Stage1 D/SA stocker we can have two and it is 14:1 so I got two big Optima's in that pig, It has an alternator, Don't ever charge it at the track and never had a problem and it is worth it for the piece of mind. Dave

·
Smoked another BBF
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it is a street car why not?, one of the worst feelings you can have is to be in the lanes on a hot day and the car won't turn over fast enough to fire, since that happened to me years ago on a street/strip car I have always had dual.

The Pro Mod that I crew on has only one lightweight Braile and we treat it like gold because a little weight makes a BIG difference in this type of car and we charge it every time between rounds. On my Buick Stage1 D/SA stocker we can have two and it is 14:1 so I got two big Optima's in that pig, It has an alternator, Don't ever charge it at the track and never had a problem and it is worth it for the piece of mind. Dave
parallel right? or switch

·
Aviation Section
25,487 Posts
Parallel with OO welding cable and soldered ends, the way to solder the cable is to heat the copper fitting with a propane torch, fill it with solder, jam the cable in and quench it immediately in a bucket of water. On the surface it sounds like it might make a cold solder joint but it does not and keeps you from burning the insulation on the OO cable. This is the same way that guys renew cables on electric powered forklifts and tugs.

If you can't get OO just use any high quality welding cable (copper) that you can get your hands on. Dave

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
ok, since this is a street ride. Yeah, just put an alt on it. 50 amp should be plenty, but I only used one in a dragster running a crossover box/TS timer and ignition system, along w/ a couple of other things. I was running a bigger ignition system on my full bodied car and needed 2 bats.

Other people may say just put a 100 amp on it and forget about it, so you don't need to worry about adding stuff later. But like I said, your application is different than I am used to.

I say youre going to need 100 amp. I tried running an ECAE 50 amp. Even with a big crank pulley it wouldnt put out enough juice. I have

Electric ic water pump
Remote engine water pump
Lights
Haltech EFI, no ignition box

It would not put out enough juice to charge the system with everything running and that was with a mechanical fuel pump.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
140 amp powermaster and be done with it
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Unless you are really conserned about the unit's weight & drag on the engine, run a good sized alternator. A small one weights about the same as a full sized and the drag only increases with output. Low output, low drag.

You will only notice the short commings of a small alt. when it leaves you hanging in the lanes or doesn't run the number. With the bigger alt. you are less likely to have an issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts