Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 421sbc strip/street car with 2 1/2" exhauste system to the rear housing. Car is currently running 11.50 1/4 E.T. at 118mph. Would like to know if you all think this exhauste is hold back some E.T.:party:party:party

·
Registered
311 Posts
I would dropped the exhaust & make a pass at the track to see.
I dropped mine (smaller engine) & I ran the same ET n the 1/8 (didnt try 1/4) but the car didnt seem to pull as hard to me LoL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 421sbc strip/street car with 2 1/2" exhauste system to the rear housing. Car is currently running 11.50 1/4 E.T. at 118mph. Would like to know if you all think this exhauste is hold back some E.T.:party:party:party
Muffler restriction is generally more than the pipes. What muffler are you running?

If you drive the car mostly on the street, and the muffler(s) are near the rear axle (away from the headers) 3 inch back to efficient mufflers (most 3" Magnaflows) and then 2-1/2 behind the mufflers will be powerful and relatively quiet.

If you are running a less efficient muffler (most F!**[email protected]$%%%s), the 2-1/2 pipes don't really hurt.

As the exhaust cools travelling from the engine to the tailpipe outlet, perhaps 800+ F°, the volume decreases. You lose a bunch of that heat across the muffler, so the smaller outlet/tailpipes don't hurt much.

The farther from the engine you put the muffler, the less power it robs for the same^^ reason.

Jon

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Muffler restriction is generally more than the pipes. What muffler are you running?

If you drive the car mostly on the street, and the muffler(s) are near the rear axle (away from the headers) 3 inch back to efficient mufflers (most 3" Magnaflows) and then 2-1/2 behind the mufflers will be powerful and relatively quiet.

If you are running a less efficient muffler (most F!**[email protected]$%%%s), the 2-1/2 pipes don't really hurt.

As the exhaust cools travelling from the engine to the tailpipe outlet, perhaps 800+ F°, the volume decreases. You lose a bunch of that heat across the muffler, so the smaller outlet/tailpipes don't hurt much.

The farther from the engine you put the muffler, the less power it robs for the same^^ reason.

Jon
Finally someone who understands Exhaust !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts