Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a car now and am looking into what is needed to keep the car planted to the pavement at 150+mph. Weight and power plant have a potential to go 175+ in perfect conditions. Planning for that, what type of things should I be looking at to keep the car stable? I'm obviously adding a single parachute, I installed an Ed Quay wing with adjustable wicker bill (0"-3/4"), but what about the front end? I'd like to avoid a front valance that drags the ground as the car will do more than just 1/4 mile racing.

Race weight will be 3000 lbs. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other questions, on my last car I removed the front sway bar as it was quite heavy and it helped loosen up the front end for weight transfer. At these speeds is this still a safe practice?

·
Registered
15,981 Posts

·
Registered
15,981 Posts
You should take another look at that. That looks nothing like a promod camaro front end.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run 185+ with no issue with no spoiler on front and I have Ed Quay wing. But my car weighs 2580

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank Mufflerguy, I should've looked more closely. That front clip definitely generates some downforce and limits air under the car.
T/S thanks for the firsthand feedback.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting pics. Thanks Den. They have the rear wing set at max effort and what appears to be a custom front spoiler. I don't think I'll need all that, but I do like learning about it. Aero and fluids have many similarities, so it's fun to see how we deal with them.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
A front spoiler is key - you want to create a low pressure under the engine compartment. A modified airdam like the red camaro above is a good thing to do. Keeping the rear from squatting too much keeps the front windshield in position to add passive downforce also. I'm not a fan of light steering effort at speed which is a side effect of front lift. A lot of positive caster also helps keep things pointed forward...

You mention Aero and fluids - you know air is a very low density fluid and once you understand a few basic relationships between lift, drag (both Cd and wake drag), and pitch the concepts are pretty easy to apply.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Even a partial front undertray or splitter (often referred to as a "lip spoiler") up front can make a very significant difference in front downforce with nearly no parasitic drag (the lip spoiler stalls the air over the top while maintaining velocity underneath it. The pressure delta in turn sucks the front end down). In fact, it's not uncommon in the road racing world for a larger (> 2.5" or so) splitter to add so much grip to the front end of the car that the rear becomes incredibly loose in the turns without adding a rear spoiler or wing.

The lower to the ground, the more effective the splitter/undertray becomes due to ground effect, but I ran 4" height on the street without any issues. You can also make a quick release version and pop it off when you're not at the strip.

If you can see your front wheels at all when looking at your car from the front, wheel spats can/will help as well.

If you're ever worried about how much drag you've added with aero add-ons, you can always do a coast-down test for A/B comparisons.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A front spoiler is key - you want to create a low pressure under the engine compartment. A modified airdam like the red camaro above is a good thing to do. Keeping the rear from squatting too much keeps the front windshield in position to add passive downforce also. I'm not a fan of light steering effort at speed which is a side effect of front lift. A lot of positive caster also helps keep things pointed forward...

You mention Aero and fluids - you know air is a very low density fluid and once you understand a few basic relationships between lift, drag (both Cd and wake drag), and pitch the concepts are pretty easy to apply.
Thanks for the caster tip, I'm having a shop set up the alignment and will be sure to mention that to them. I do some professional sailboat racing as a side gig and am an engineer by day. I understand foils well in water and through the air, however that's all at MUCH slower speeds. I have a factory front spoiler on the car now but it sounds like an aftermarket one might be a good idea.

·
A Senior Member
2,846 Posts
Do you have the the brackets on the factory spoiler? We do not, and I believe it folds under at speed. Never got to GOPRO it. I have thought of adding a flat plate (splitter) to the bottom lip to stiffen it.

I have yet to find a good looking aftermarket one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have the brackets installed. I do have them and agree, the plastic is probably folding under at speed.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,623 Posts
Thank Mufflerguy, I should've looked more closely. That front clip definitely generates some downforce and limits air under the car.
T/S thanks for the firsthand feedback.
That front clip is no different than any other stock Camaro.

That splitter under the bumper isnt though. That's also not a front clip.

What exactly are you looking at? "Didn't look close enough"? Are you legally blind? I'm being serious. Anyone with half a brain can tell that's a stock front clip. So how exactly does it generate this supposed downforce? It's a hood, front fascia/grille, and fenders. A splitter/whatever is under that bumper isn't a front clip. It's a splitter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts