Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of the shops do this similarly, but for people who haven't seen it done I thought some of you might like to see how we do flush mounted lexan in an OEM bodied car. The car had existing lexan that we removed. We are building mounting flanges for all the windows to sit on as opposed to how some shops use a rubber gasket that rarely sits flush completely around the perimeter of the window. Most factory window jambs that I have seen usually vary somewhat in height and you end up picking a gasket that averages the height/thickness and the finished result is less than perfect. The way we do it is alot of work, but the results are worth it I think.
Here are a few pics of when it came in: All the white around the edges is rubbing compound from the recent paint job.

Here are a few shots of the rear window flange mock up:

We are also doing the side windows. We will be removing the existing door window frames and replacing them with new adjustable ones that will alow the window to be tensioned against the ledge for optimum fit/closing.
Here is the side windows flange:

Inside look:

We are also fabbing up a flange for the door glass to shut against and removing the factory weatherstrip and reatainers.
Side shot:

We will post some more pics as work progresses. Everything gets powder coated and black oxide coated SS countersunk hardware. Hope y'all enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks nice !
If I had to guess, Id say you knew Chris. LOL

2windows, as much request as we have for stuff like this, and as much as I would love to sell it, every car is slightly different and i would need the car. Thanks for checking though.

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
If I had to guess, Id say you knew Chris. LOL

2windows, as much request as we have for stuff like this, and as much as I would love to sell it, every car is slightly different and i would need the car. Thanks for checking though.
Looks great Paul. I agree with Paul. Each car will differ slightly based on body panel replacement, body work done in the past, etc, etc. The fit would never be the same from car to car unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments guys. Like Dan says, even this car was slightly different side to side around the radius at the top of the rear window, and it has the factory panels with no rust repairs (filler). Just the factory build tolerances that the chrome moldings somewhat hid.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Great work as always Paul

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Looks awesome Paul, alot of people just chop it out with a jig saw and rivet it in to look like shit. A nice clean job like this is time consuming but well worth the quality.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks good paul and if i didnt know any better it kinda looks like my car :cool:
LOL. You need to update your avatar. Looks much better after the new paint. Glad you had a chance to come by and pet it yesterday. Was good to hang out and visit alittle. You have any dreams about the hand made tools I showed ya? LOL. Your baby should be home by the weekend, depending on the powdercoaters.:rolleyes:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and posts
And thank you too Mickey. Guys like you that do this stuff know how long it takes and the effort required. I'm thankful to Chris (owner) that he was willing to step up on a job like this and wasn't happy with ordinary. More pics soon.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you have any updated pics ???
No, I'm a slacker on pics today. Will take some tomorrow though. Update: The front and rear windows are cut and fit, the 1/4 windows are done and mounted and have one door window frame mostly done. We'll be drilling/ countersinking holes tomorrow and the last window frame. Should be something to take pics of then.:cool: The guy who owns the Duster saw it here, he likey

·
Registered
653 Posts
Still waiting in them pics Paul.... Can't be lazy 2 days in a row

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Still waiting in them pics Paul.... Can't be lazy 2 days in a row
I prefer the term slacker. LOL. Been hard at it, should be sending out the stuff to p coat tomorrow. Not really anything to show in pics. Will be posting as it goes back together though. Thanks for everyones comments and interest. Paul

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally able to post update pics. I had a short hold up at the p coaters and played jury duty for two days, so I've been playing catch up all week. I don't really mind the jury duty stuff so much but it couldn't have been at a worse time.The owner also added some wing spill plate supports and a push bar system to tow (push) the car with so we let the boarder paint on the windows dry extra and just installed them yesterday so it could be delivered this w/e. Here are the finished pics:

Feature to adjust tension (align) on the window frame

Inside of 1/4 window mount

Edge of the 1/4 window was offset to make the door window flush with the 1/4 window

pic with door shut. The door window fits just about perfectly flush with the 1/4 window. The white line between the windows is the edge of the lexan lighting up in the flash.

front w/s and sides

All the window mount parts were powder coated black, and then held in place with black oxide coated SS hardware. I will put a few pics up of the pushbar when I get them hosted on p bucket.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Ok now i see why my car can't get any attention - The car looks very nice wouldn't expect any less from something you were working on Pal :smt023

1 - 20 of 62 Posts