Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a Cummins last night for a tow rig, "supposedly" the tranny was replaced but I'm a skeptical person. I know that if you pretty much look at those they break the 47re. Is there anything preventive I can do to help prolong the life and prevent damage, truck is a stock 24v other then he said it's got 150hp injectors and a bigger turbo. Unknown on size.

I swore I saw something about they need a tranny cooler upgrade.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
5,588 Posts
After year of working on trucks and cars I've come to the conclusion the "rebuilt" just means somebody worked on it, and usually did the absolute least amount of work they could do to make it work.

That trans in that truck is the weak link in the truck, all you can do is keep it cool, don't abuse or do stupid shit with it. If you breaks then put good parts back in it.

That truck does have a pretty good trans cooler system in it, it has a good coolant to oil cooler that first quenches the temp to engine temp then it goes to the air to air cooler in front of the radiator. I think this system is better that what Ford and GM offer, except those STC fittings always leak.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Clutch packs, billet strut anchor, billet accumulator piston, valve body. If you take it apart make sure they are done!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's just for daily driver duty in the winter and for hauling my car. Seems like its shares alot of likenesses with the 727's

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just picked up a Cummins last night for a tow rig, "supposedly" the tranny was replaced but I'm a skeptical person. I know that if you pretty much look at those they break the 47re. Is there anything preventive I can do to help prolong the life and prevent damage, truck is a stock 24v other then he said it's got 150hp injectors and a bigger turbo. Unknown on size.

I swore I saw something about they need a tranny cooler upgrade.
47RE is not a terrible trans as long as you don't want to be Mr Diesel Drag Racer, I would be very skeptical of a rebuilt transmission It would be great if they had receipts then you could check with the shop that did the work.
You can spend serious $$$ on a 47RE, the sky is the limit, Minimum mod for any Tow vehicle a shift kit to increase the line pressure, flex plate and converter and the list gets longer after that, yes keep it cool the stock trans cooler is not bad, I had a trans temp, egt and lift pump fuel pressure gauges on mine.
If the 5.9 has any HP upgrades and the trans has not also been looked after, your on borrowed time, I never had an issue with my 47RE with shift kit, My 98.5 was almost completely stock. Great Truck.
And the old 5.9 got at least 20% better mileage than my new 3500 6.7.
Make sure the 5.9 has a good replacement Lift Pump mounted on the frame, Geno's Garage has some options and kits where everything is plug in with brackets and big line kits
you don't need the high end Fass or Airdog $700 pumps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
47re is just a 727 with an overdrive basically. In a 98.5 truck with 150 hp injectors as long as you got a shift kit in it and keep up with the bands being adjusted that thing should last a long time unless you abuse it. As long as it shifts fine at this point and doesn't starting to hunt for gears run it! And of course it's things fail replace with good parts.

·
Registered
65,950 Posts
^^^^^^^ X2
Everything he said and like everyone has said -- keep the oil cool. A deep sump pan is never a bad investment. Installed one on my Dad's '06 as it is used to pull enclosed trailers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts