Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Chevy truck. The clutch on the a/c just took a dump and locked it all up. Would u guys change compressor and of course have to recharge system. Its $129 for a remanded r4. Or pay $85 and install new clutch and not have to recharge system? Or I can get a junkyard unit for $25. I have to have a/c for my oldest because he doesn't sweat. Its my work truck if that matters. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If just the clutch seized then jist pit a clutch and pulley on it.The pulley is probably screwed also.But for $129 that aint bad for a neew compressor.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have had the truck for 3.5 years and it has always sounded like it had a rod knock ...lol now it will pull motor down when it engages but the front of the clutch isn't moving and truck not cooling. Do I need special tools to change clutch? How can I tell if it damaged the compressor?

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
replace everything ..you will thank me later ...if you do it right the first time ... but i got a feeling you wont

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I am 95% sure I am going to replace it all at once. But yes I was asking opinions. That's what we do here. I have no problem spending the money but I don't wanna spend $90 on a clutch and have to turn around and spend $130 on a compressor. Just asking people that may have more experience with It than me.......grouchy old man

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a 1994 Chevy truck. The clutch on the a/c just took a dump and locked it all up. Would u guys change compressor and of course have to recharge system. Its $129 for a remanded r4. Or pay $85 and install new clutch and not have to recharge system? Or I can get a junkyard unit for $25. I have to have a/c for my oldest because he doesn't sweat. Its my work truck if that matters. Thanks for the advice.

In my opinion, replace the comp, with a rebuilt unit. The clutch most likely failed becuase of an internal problem within the compressor, why take a chance,for a few $ more, or depending where u are located ,wait untill next year in the spring to do it. cool weather is here in most parts of the country., no need for a/c unless its a health reason, just a thought, good luck.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Actually I am 95% sure I am going to replace it all at once. But yes I was asking opinions. That's what we do here. I have no problem spending the money but I don't wanna spend $90 on a clutch and have to turn around and spend $130 on a compressor. Just asking people that may have more experience with It than me.......grouchy old man
The orfice tube is behind the grill and you need to replace the whole system ...there is no if ands or buts...signed grouchy old man ..;)

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
now it will pull motor down when it engages but the front of the clutch isn't moving
IF the front of the clutch plate isn't moving, the compressor is seized and it's smoking the clutch!...
Sounds like the compressor is your remedy!... :smt102

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have a compressor, orifice tube, and drier on the way. That's why I asked u guys first...lol now I have that good reason to go buy a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on it. And do it correctly;) don't guess anyone has any idea how much oil it uses and the type? I can look it up if I need too but I'm lazy now:)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The orfice tube is behind the grill and you need to replace the whole system ...there is no if ands or buts...signed grouchy old man ..;)
Yeah I know where its at...no need to be shitty....lol ;) thanks for the advice

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
I have a compressor, orifice tube, and drier on the way. That's why I asked u guys first...lol now I have that good reason to go buy a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on it. And do it correctly;) don't guess anyone has any idea his much of oil it uses? I can look it up if I need too but I'm lazy now:)
I am to grouchy to answer this ? ... but if i were you ..i would order a complete kit from napa it comes with everything including flush for a great price;)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Oil should be on a label on the dryer(original) or just add 3 to compressor in the low side, 3 to dryer . Be sure and see if teh orifice is full of crap and flush it from there to compressor.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a compressor, orifice tube, and drier on the way. That's why I asked u guys first...lol now I have that good reason to go buy a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on it. And do it correctly;) don't guess anyone has any idea how much oil it uses and the type? I can look it up if I need too but I'm lazy now:)
In the compressor box or on the comp. it will tell you how many ounces of oil to use or it may allready be pre oiled and check to see what kind of oil they require you to use if you need to install oil,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts