Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, being that I am mentally un-stable and the AMC my Father and I are building nearing completion (build thread in Others section), we have picked up yet another money pit. I have been around Mitsu's/DSM's specifically since 2002 when I purchased my first Talon as a winter beater during High School. From 2005 to last month I have been building/racing my 1992 Plymouth Laser AWD. Started life as a 16g/ SAFC car running 13.4 @ 105mph in 2005 and ran a best of [email protected] on a FP GT35r this past season running the original stock motor for 10 years. Over those 10 seasons It ate through 6 transmissions and it happened again to me this October at Import Face Off @ New England Dragway in a semi final (win) against a Honda. Long story short, I am not wasting anymore money on sideways transmissions and decided rear wheel drive was my only option. Although the AMC will see the track next season, I was not ready to give up on the stupid 4 cylinders.

I set out looking for a Mighty Max or Ram50 and my father actually came across this 88 Mighty Max in CT off craigslist. He went down and checked it out, as can be expected the body was randomly spray painted and neglected and it had some terrible 80's graphics. We struck a deal and dragged her home, upon further inspection the frame is nice and solid and overall the body is pretty good too! We are working on cleaning up the body, then I will pull the 4G63 from my Laser along with the FP cast exhaust manifold and flip the 35R around. My current Forrester intake will allow me to flip the plenum for RWD use and I will steal some other odds and ends. Transmission will be a Accurate Transmissions built C4 and Ultimate converter concepts converter from my buddy Matt's 4G swapped E30 (8.80's car). Rear end will be an 8.8 Ford unit. I was building a 4G swapped notchback mustang but parted it out when I got married, luckily I kept my adapter plate from Bill H, wiring harness and RWD oil pan. I will post progress as we go, the direction for the truck is to be class legal for Import Face Off's "Forced Induction Sport" class which limits to 62mm turbos on vehicles with full exhaust and DOT tires, largely stock interiors. Suspension will remain leaf spring on caltracs and the whole idea will be a streetable truck that will click off high 9's on the stock motor and a drag radial.

Thanks,
Kyle

Laser that will donate many speed parts along with its heart-

[email protected] pass -

Picking up the Max!

After a few days of peeling 1980's decals and buffing-

Any the C4/Ultimate converter, JW ultrabell-

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Cool projects!! My dad had a 93 mighty max that I always wanted to hop up. It clapped out about 150k and everything started falling apart. Hey you probably know this but many mighty maxes had the 4g64 engine which from what I read is a rwd 4g63. I bet there are a lot of parts you could rob off it for your swap.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This 88 has the G63B 2.0 carb motor which essentially is a 4G63 Shortblock and a single cam head. My 4G DOHC motor should bolt directly in but might have some clearance troubles on Cam angle sensor and firewall. May need to slide the motor 2-3" forward but we will find that out soon.

Crazy thing is these trucks only weigh 2,600-2,700lbs there is not much to them!

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
Thats a unusual choice, those max ram 50 series had alot of trouble with rotted frames. Love the 4g63s, but why not put it into a mustang like everyone else?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a unusual choice, those max ram 50 series had alot of trouble with rotted frames. Love the 4g63s, but why not put it into a mustang like everyone else?
For just that reason, to not be like everyone else. Before I got married I had a 4G 1/2 way swapped into a fox but scrapped the project to get married. Now a days you can't go to any track without seeing 50 fox body's . I like different, hell my other car is a damn AMC powered AMC!

Plus I like leaf springs and fox body's didn't get Amish buggy springs!

·
Banned
16,548 Posts
For just that reason, to not be like everyone else. Before I got married I had a 4G 1/2 way swapped into a fox but scrapped the project to get married. Now a days you can't go to any track without seeing 50 fox body's . I like different, hell my other car is a damn AMC powered AMC!

Plus I like leaf springs and fox body's didn't get Amish buggy springs!
I remember seeing a talon that was converted to rwd because they got tired of blowing transmissions and transfer cases. I always wanted a conquest or starion to do a 4g63 swap on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Saturday was a tad depressing yet exciting in the same. Pulled 95% of what I wanted from the Laser and pushed it into that corner of the shop that generally gets blocked when better projects are in the way. For historical purposes, here is the proof that I will be running the same stock motor we have since 2005. Removed the ecu and ecmlink cable, stole the map and IAT sensors along with the link jumper harness and the JMF garrett core. Sold the Corbeau seats yesterday to fund Kirkeys for the Max. I suspect the 044 and NGK wideband will also be stolen as we venture further.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Hmm...I have one of these trucks just sitting around with a bad ecu. Does that engine just drop in those?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 2.0 (G63B) is the same shortblock as a 4G63 but with a single cam head. Adding the DOHC head creates some firewall clearance concerns but you can either A. Give the firewall some love with a hammer or B. Modify the mounts to slide the motor forward 2-3".

I will post my findings when I get the motor mock up going.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
A 2.0 (G63B) is the same shortblock as a 4G63 but with a single cam head. Adding the DOHC head creates some firewall clearance concerns but you can either A. Give the firewall some love with a hammer or B. Modify the mounts to slide the motor forward 2-3".

I will post my findings when I get the motor mock up going.
I like the hammer idea. Yeah keep us updated on the build. I'm interested.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts