Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So This won't be a very impressive build thread as I don't have all kinds of money to throw at it. But I picked this thing up for $3500. I like the 5.0l and I like the 5 speed. It's fun to drive. I was looking for a foxbody automatic car. I thought that would be better for more consistent drag racing. But honestly I daily drive a 5 speed car and it's way more fun to drive on the road than an automatic car. It's not Like I'll be going to the track every weekend so I want to be able to enjoy it on the street also. It's got some pretty good amount of rust underneath that will hopefully be delt with over the winter. So Here it is.

Also This is my first mustang and I don't know a lot about them. If anyone could recommend some good resources for parts/info for these things that would be great. Like one thing that I need would be a new Engine oil dipstick and tube. Where would I go for that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm assuming that the 140mph cluster is not original? Because when I was driving it the speed wasn't matching the guage.

·
Señor Member
25,548 Posts

·
Señor Member
25,548 Posts
Strange that it has the mass air conversion.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice buy! Enjoy.

Dipstick. https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-oil-dipstick-tube-curved-chrome-set-5-0l-1983-1993/p/DSK2/?year=1987&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29LexJOU4wIViIuzCh25twSOEAQYBCABEgJn7fD_BwE

It's got aftermarket control arms...you can ditch those blue colored quad shocks. Get a fender well air cleaner...the one on there now's going to suck all the hot under hood air.
Cool man that's the kind of advice I'm looking for. As I'm a complete noob when it comes to mustangs. So this didn't have a MAF system on it originally?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
No, mass-air didn’t come out until 1988 for Cali cars, or 1989 for the rest of n/a, but a lot of guys like to use it because their buddies uncle knows a guy who said you make more power with it, which is untrue. The only real reason to use it is after a cam change due to the standard SD system’s reliance on engine vacuum to operate properly. And yes the quad shocks can go in the scrap bin, not needed with aftermarket control arms. If it’s rotted underneath you can find replacement panels but it depends how much work you wanna do, it’s labor intensive to fix rust properly.
It’s pretty nose-heavy, I wonder if it was originally a 4 banger and someone swapped the power train, that would explain the maf and the front sag

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, mass-air didn’t come out until 1988 for Cali cars, or 1989 for the rest of n/a, but a lot of guys like to use it because their buddies uncle knows a guy who said you make more power with it, which is untrue. The only real reason to use it is after a cam change due to the standard SD system’s reliance on engine vacuum to operate properly. And yes the quad shocks can go in the scrap bin, not needed with aftermarket control arms. If it’s rotted underneath you can find replacement panels but it depends how much work you wanna do, it’s labor intensive to fix rust properly.
It’s pretty nose-heavy, I wonder if it was originally a 4 banger and someone swapped the power train, that would explain the maf and the front sag
According to the VIN It's a 5.0 car. I matched the VIN with the title, window and door so it should be legit. The seller told me, and it looks like, that he put different shocks and springs on it. I'm guessing to lower it. Maybe why thats why it looks lower in the front? The seller also told me it has different heads, intake, and cam. So maybe that explains the MAF swap for the cam change.

·
Señor Member
25,548 Posts
Cool bro...that would explain the MAF conversion. Looks like you're off to a good start. Give us a list of what mods are done to the car and what brand of parts used...so we can tell you what's what. :smt023

·
Señor Member
25,548 Posts
Intake's stock but that might be a bigger throttle body off a different car. Just guessing here cause it's painted blue...unlike the intake.

·
Señor Member
25,548 Posts
Is it an original non AC car? Post a pic of the 3 HVAC controls/knobs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it an original non AC car? Post a pic of the 3 HVAC controls/knobs.
The only one I have at the moment. And this is really all what the seller told me...

e303 cam kit
TKO Transmission (I doubt it)
greddy suspension? (didn't know greddy made mustang parts)
410 gears
Different heads (forgot what ones he said)

Some of these things I really doubt from the guy. Probably didn't know about the car But for $3500 and it ran good, I just bought it. He said he was the second owner and that it only has 61,000 miles on it. I'm guessing the cluster probably has that much and not the car. Probably had heat and a/c because If I remember right there are fittings on the firewall. I'll check later when I'm back at the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice buy! Enjoy.

Dipstick. https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-oil-dipstick-tube-curved-chrome-set-5-0l-1983-1993/p/DSK2/?year=1987&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29LexJOU4wIViIuzCh25twSOEAQYBCABEgJn7fD_BwE

It's got aftermarket control arms...you can ditch those blue colored quad shocks. Get a fender well air cleaner...the one on there now's going to suck all the hot under hood air.
Would I get an intake system for a 89-93 since I have the MAF on this car? Like this?

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Cold-Air-Intake-Kits-79-93#11680

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^Yes.

And yes it’s an a/c car, you can see the evap fittings on the firewall.
Did he say GT40 heads by chance?
I think that is what he said about the heads. Can you tell from the pictures? Or maybe a casting number i can look for?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I tried but I can’t really tell, if you look at the last pic in your first post, the end if the head should have a “three-bar” stamping if they’re Gt40s, or a “four-bar” stamping for GT40p, it would be at the inside end of the head, but there’s a harness in the way for me to see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried but I can’t really tell, if you look at the last pic in your first post, the end if the head should have a “three-bar” stamping if they’re Gt40s, or a “four-bar” stamping for GT40p, it would be at the inside end of the head, but there’s a harness in the way for me to see.
Well I guess my cylinder heads are probably stock...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Would I get an intake system for a 89-93 since I have the MAF on this car? Like this?

https://lmr.com/products/Mustang-Cold-Air-Intake-Kits-79-93#11680
Lmr is not theplace to buy performance parts. For a good cold air setup go to anderson ford motorsports and talk to Brian about their powerpipe and get a matching pro m 80mm maf. Best setup out there for n/a.
Get on corral.net and surf their classifieds and read the windsor tech threads and drag race threads.
Good luck, and btw a coupe for 3500 is a friggin steal, no matter what the case. I have 5 of them and wouldn't think of selling one for near that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lmr is not theplace to buy performance parts. For a good cold air setup go to anderson ford motorsports and talk to Brian about their powerpipe and get a matching pro m 80mm maf. Best setup out there for n/a.
Get on corral.net and surf their classifieds and read the windsor tech threads and drag race threads.
Good luck, and btw a coupe for 3500 is a friggin steal, no matter what the case. I have 5 of them and wouldn't think of selling one for near that.
Thank a lot! Well it's got rust underneath that I'll be posting soon. Will have to do some work there over the winter hopefully. Probably going to replace the full floor pan. And of course the front strut towers look a bit ugly. But I can do a lot of this stuff myself so I'm up for the challenge. I'm not looking to make a show car, just looking to drive it.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
So This won't be a very impressive build thread as I don't have all kinds of money to throw at it. But I picked this thing up for $3500. I like the 5.0l and I like the 5 speed. It's fun to drive. I was looking for a foxbody automatic car. I thought that would be better for more consistent drag racing. But honestly I daily drive a 5 speed car and it's way more fun to drive on the road than an automatic car. It's not Like I'll be going to the track every weekend so I want to be able to enjoy it on the street also. It's got some pretty good amount of rust underneath that will hopefully be delt with over the winter. So Here it is.

Also This is my first mustang and I don't know a lot about them. If anyone could recommend some good resources for parts/info for these things that would be great. Like one thing that I need would be a new Engine oil dipstick and tube. Where would I go for that?

Where in nj are you? I have to check but I think I have a couple old chrome ford racing dipsticks still in the plastic laying around that will work with a stock mustang pan.

I think I remember that car being listed on craigslist a couple times, not many grey coupes with sunroofs in the tristate area, first time I saw it was listed pretty cheap and as having a lot of rust issues don't think it was black below the body line either so might want to knock on those rockers and quarter panels to see if you hear any thuds from them being packed with filler.

speedo could be off because of wrong speedo gear or a 4cyl t5 among other things.

Those red control arms are crappy, the bushing they come with a pure garbage, The heads look like stock e7's, someone removed the a/c on it since that's an aftermarket relocation kit used for the tensioner and the cluster was changed from one out of an 89.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts