Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Automotive parking light Car

So I bought this car from the original owner about ten years ago. Low mileage, garage kept and rust free.
I drove it with the original 2.3 T5 combo for a summer and it drove well, no rattles and quite tight.
Although you do see some guys building some pretty crazy power with that little mill, I am not into 4 cylinders and a V8 was in the plan.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Office equipment Machine

So no LS for me, hell it is no different now than when I was in high school, everybody had a sbc or a big block in my school and I drove a 69 Javelin 390 4 speed. I had Keith Craft performance engines build me a nice stroker windsor. 395 cubes built on a Ford Racing B58 sportsman block. It has Brodix 210 cc heads that are cnc machined and flow about the same as high ports.
Forged crank, rods and pistons and a CR of 9 to 1. They broke the engine in on their dyno and ran it with a carb. It made 485hp and 520 ft lbs if I remember correctly. The power was a bit below 500 and the torque a bit above that figure. I do have the dyno charts here somewhere but it is close to that. They shipped me the engine with an edelbrock victor efi for a 5.8 and it sat that way in my garage for quite some time.
When Holley came out with the high ram for the 351w I had to get one. Unfortunately the Brodix heads have valve cover rails that get in the way of the lower manifold and it is a no fit situation.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then I picked up a G Force G101A transmission with the long v gate shifter, a McLeod rxt clutch and quick time bell. I had planned on a turbo blow through deal at first as I spent more than I wanted on the engine and trans. That changed pretty quickly and decided to save up and get an efi system. Picked up a Holley Dominator, all related harnesses and went with coil on plug, boost control, ect.
I have a Borg S480 for it to be installed on a CG fab hot side. Treadstone intercooler for the cold side.
I have almost everything needed to put this together minus a built rear end and roll cage.
I am no fab guy just a back yard mechanic/ gear head who loves cars way more than my ex wife!

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I just started working on it and hope to get a fair bit done on it this winter.
I started with installing a Cobra brake booster and a nos master cylinder from Ford to use with rear discs.
Maximum Motorsports quadrant, adjuster and cable and took out the K. I have a MM tubular k member to install and unfortunately I had to order a set of spacers to work with a t bird. They should be here today and will get that puppy bolted up. The original owner had the car rust proofed when it was new and while I am glad it was done as the metal is pristine, it sure is a pia to get it off the engine compartment and frame rails.
I used purple power and goo gone with a lot of elbow grease to get it reasonable. I do have smooth inner fender liners and shock tower covers but won’t bother with that until after the cold side is built and I have the car running.

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive tire Electrical wiring Auto part

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Tire Picture frame Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Machine Auto part

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Automotive exterior Auto part

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Rim

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Asphalt

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Cool!
So today I started installing the k member, you have to use a spacer as the chassis is slightly different than the stang and I had to cut a small piece of the lower mount from the frame, it was causing slight interference and the k would not seat properly with out doing so, that and those two holes are about a 1/4” farther apart than the k member holes so I had to open those up a bit. Once I did that it fit great and now I can start on the suspension and brakes.
Oh and as far as the stock wheels go I thought about getting the rears widened and the fronts narrowed a bit but they still are four lug wheels so by the time you did all that to them you could buy a pretty nice set of new ones. LMR has the replica 10 hole wheels staggered but I think you can only get those in 4 lug also.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so in between holiday get together I got a bit more done. I hate metric bolts, I tried to find a m16x 120 mm local but that is not an easy chore here. I dug out the old k which was buried and put away and got the bolts I needed. Once I got the bolts it started going together quite well. I have to go back to work on Tuesday so the updates will get slower.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Hood Automotive tire

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Rim Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Aircraft Military helicopter Helicopter

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay so I had this set of pbr calipers that I powder coated many moons ago. I bolted them up with Amazon rotors and pads. I put a kit in the calipers before I bolted them up but they were fine didn’t need anything.
I am just going with these for now as I have them but will update to Baer deep stage ss4 that work with 15” wheels.
Passive circuit component Circuit component Blue Hardware programmer Electronic component

Toy Picture frame Automotive design Creative arts Art

Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dug out my front runners and made sure they cleared the brakes, tons of room.
The control arms are not offset so that puts them 3/4” forward compared to stock.
The front coils are 14” 150lb units.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The MN12’s are nice. They have a very rigid unibody and are a nice car. I had a 94 that I dropped a 5.0 into a while back. I have another one a 88 sport that only has 46k original, I bought it this past summer on bat.
That one is going to be a highway cruiser and with a mild 5.0 it will suit me fine when I am not driving my truck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts