Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 300TD has issues. First gear slips and flares and the engine pukes a comet trail of oil onto the inside of the hood. Does this within a 100 miles.

Talked to the local Benz guru and he said local shop rebuilds on the OM617 start at $4000 if nothings broken. Trans would be another 2 grand.
He did say if its stuck rings to put GM Top Engine Clean in and let it soak. I don't think that's gonna resurrect it.

I think best bet is to swap in some American iron. I'm in contact with guys that have done it using 302's with 5 speeds and automatics but I'm open to anything.

Would really like an automatic with OD since it's the wife's car.
Fuel injection would be great, but I don't want a nightmare of wiring since I'm no good at it.

Could care less if it's Ford, Chev, or Mopar. Just want it to work well and be cheap to repair.

Let's hear some suggestions.

·
Senior with common sense
8,958 Posts
harbor frieght has v twins for 800 bucks.. one of those should do it..

frankly my family had the 4 cyl diesel mercedes all through the 70-80s .. all the generators on the refer units had that engine so our mechanics could work on them and we stocked our own parts..
those engines will go until the earth stops rotating... a lil turbo on them really peps them up too.
cant help you on the trans.. but if you put a mechanical diesel in it.. youd be looking at 45mpg..

sorry thats no help..
fwiw
but the older OHV mercedes v8s.. sound great with a good set of mufflers.. maybe find one of them.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I thought getting around the steering was an issue? But I guess if people have done it, then it's do able

·
Premium Member
15,214 Posts
Freshened a 76 240D, Cali car, friend gave it to me, thought I'd repower with a 302 phord, then got the notion to fix on the diesel. Neighbor who ran a two man Mercedes service shop, old guy who was Hitler Youth, yeah his Kraut cred was in order, went through the engine, cost me 3500 in parts, no prob, great mileage is in the future. It did run like a watch, a noisy watch, kept it for a few years as a toad behind my bus, pos was slow and mpg was mid 20's @ best. My Olds diesels were quieter, faster and same or better fuel consumption.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought getting around the steering was an issue? But I guess if people have done it, then it's do able
Some V8 swaps I've seen run the left side exhaust forward to clear the steering. One used block huggers on a SBC.
Another guy put a rack and pinion on the back of the cross member. Super slick build.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Freshened a 76 240D, Cali car, friend gave it to me, thought I'd repower with a 302 phord, then got the notion to fix on the diesel. Neighbor who ran a two man Mercedes service shop, old guy who was Hitler Youth, yeah his Kraut cred was in order, went through the engine, cost me 3500 in parts, no prob, great mileage is in the future. It did run like a watch, a noisy watch, kept it for a few years as a toad behind my bus, pos was slow and mpg was mid 20's @ best. My Olds diesels were quieter, faster and same or better fuel consumption.
Uncle owned the car while he was in California. The guy that pulled wrenches on it there was one of Hitlers motor pool mechanics.
I got to meet him and talked to him for quite a while. Had stories with photos and documents to back it up.
People think I'm bullshitting when I tell them.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LS...........................run 8's!... :supz:
I'd run an LS and auto trans, but don't know where to find these bulletproof hundred dollar wonders.

Closest I got is a place that sells a low mileage motor and OD trans with stand alone harness for $2500.

But the way everybody here talks they get them for pennies.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
27,385 Posts
I have thought about taking the 5 cyl diesels and putting a bigger turbo and injectors on it. Tehn swap it into something else

·
Registered
37,500 Posts
I don't know if those cars have become a semi-classic, or a cult car, or whether people who own them simply treat them like family. But I've seen people spend 5X what the car's worth to keep them on the road, so...

Question - do you like the current drivetrain (assuming it was working properly) - in which case it would be a lot easier and cheaper to buy a wrecked or clapped out donor car with a good engine/trans and just swap it over. If you're wanting to upgrade, then I reckon the sky's the limit. 302 Ford, 3800 GM V6, gasoline inline-6, all sorts of things come to mind. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts