Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new chapter in the life of the nova, car started out 2 years ago as a 250 inline 6 cylinder 2 speed powerglide bench seat car. I quickly changed that for a mild 350 sbc/th350. Started reading alot of about the lsx platform and was quickly sold on the potential. Got rid of the gen 1 sbc and have been buying parts for the last 3-4months. Have 90% of parts now so the build begins!

Car is going to be built over the winter and hopefully be ready for a tune come spring. Initially this was just a motor swap but it quickly turned into transmission,driveline and chassis upgrades. Would like to have the car ready for some track days this year and the lsx shootout in indy.

New Parts

Engine
5.3 truck block and rotating assembly
ARP Rod bolts
LS6 Camshaft
H3 Hummer oil pan powder coated and -10 drain bung welded in
6.0 LQ9 317 Heads
LS6 "yellow" valve springs
LS1 Car intake
Fabbed aluminum valve covers
GM 5 layer MLS 6.0 head gaskets
ARP 12 point head studs
All factory gasket replacement

Fuel System
Aeromotive Elimenator A1000 Pump
Aeromotive Boost Reference Regulator
16 Gallon Poly Cell
-10 feed to -8 y
Fast -8 rails
-6 return to tank
83lb injectors
Will be drinking E85

Turbo Setup

MP T76 1.0AR Q Trim Wheel
W Body 5.3 JY Exhaust Manfolds
2.5 Crossover and merge
JGS 50mm WG
JGS 50mm Bov
Ebay 4" A/A intercooler

Transmission
Abruzzi Racing built th400 with brake
BM Transcooler
Converter is still unknown as of yet

Rear End
Factory 8.5 10 bolt narrowed
Big ford Housing ends (so I dont have to run c clip eleminators)
Moser full spool
Moser 33 Spline alloy axles
Moser Rear end girdle
tubes fully welded to housing
1350 Pinion yoke
3.23 Gear

Chassis ( all unexpected expenses but really glad I bought some quality stuff)
Energy suspension body mounts
TRZ Motorsports Tubular Chrome Moly upper and lower control arms
QA1 Pro Coil over
Calvert Split Mono leafs
Calvert Caltracs
Martin motorsports custom bent 10pt cage cert to 8.50
Going to be going with a 275 DR, I am a big fan of the what these 275dr can do

The unknowns at this point are the converter and whether I go with a SD tune or a MAF tune and what tuner I use for the car. The car is going to run on e85, and since my 5.3 with 6.0 heads will yield 8.6:1 compression this car should take 16-20 lbs of boost with a spot on tune and make about 6-650 whp

I know parish built a turbo 5.3 with a p trim .96 mpt70 in a fairmont and went [email protected] My goals this year is a 9.50-9.99 pass, I know that the fairmont was a lighter car so with my chassis setup and larger turbo I am shooting for 9.50-9.99 this year. Everything is here for those times, just got to get some seat time.

Within the next two years I plan on using the 8.50 cert. Long term goals is a built 6.0 with twin mpt70's and some nice headers. There are a few cars floating around going 8.60s @ 160 with a 6.0 and twin mp t70

Just really started working on it but gotta get alot done before it goes to Martin Motorsports in about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Engine Mocked up nothing really bolted down yet

Maybe about 60% of the parts that are overfilling my garage

·
Registered
44 Posts
Great looking setup. I wouldn't run the LS6 valve springs though. I would get some good double valve springs for a turbo set up.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't think 8.60s are a too far off. But I don't know about the E85 stuff. My setup went 8.84 @156 on 15lbs running on E85. I run a 370 lq9 with a PTE 47/88 th400 and a 28" tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds like you have done your homework. might try 4200-4500 converter. I changed to the LS9 camshaft and it helped. This camshaft is for forced induction ( Blower engine) Fairmont weighs about 3300

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some work I finished up in the past week was cleaning the 40 year old dirt from under the car, the pans are pretty solid, I do have about a 3" square section of rot in both front pans I plan on patching but here is a before and after pic, lots of wire wheel action went on, just trying to get the underside clean and prevent any further rust.

Next will be getting the front subframe off and cleaned/painted and install all the goodies so I can get the car to the chassis shop to get tied and caged

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 250.00 engine from deer creek

LS1 Intake sanded down before base/clear

to its current state

·
WHAT?
2,039 Posts
Stock internal in that 5/3?

Lead.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sounds very similar to my initial LSx swap plans back in '06. Mine evolved a little as I built it. My 5.3 based motor went 8.58/166.89 in Denver with 19 psi at 3300+ lbs.

I would recommend considering ditching the A2A in favor of no cooler. We have a huge A2A on one of our cars and all it does is make the motor run hotter when we're cruising it. Air temps are still 230+ on a pass.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds very similar to my initial LSx swap plans back in '06. Mine evolved a little as I built it. My 5.3 based motor went 8.58/166.89 in Denver with 19 psi at 3300+ lbs.

I would recommend considering ditching the A2A in favor of no cooler. We have a huge A2A on one of our cars and all it does is make the motor run hotter when we're cruising it. Air temps are still 230+ on a pass.
Yeah it's a stock 5.3... Ultimate 346 you are one of the reasons I started this build I followed your thread along with tirefryin and picked alot of other ideas and started buying parts. Thanks for sharing your build, I would love to ditch the intercooler in favor of none but my tuner advised Against it I don't know

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm interested to hear more about what you recommend instead of A2A. Do you run methanol injection? Could you please show pictures of your setup?

Here is the current state of my '69 Nova getting a 9:1 408 and twin 66mm GTK-650s.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Just to clarify my nova has a big a2w on it. The a2a car I was refering to is a black 68 chevelle with an f2. I'm building a lsx right now for a 4th gen camaro with a s475 and no cooler at all.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
nice build, would like to try that same kinda thing with my next project. I would think that an i/c would be good unless you are heat soaking the radiator with it. Even an a2a. I think once you get a combination running well that an alky kit would help also. They just about have them down to a science now.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I love my A2A , I see as low as 20* below ambient on 22psi, thats with the a2a and a simple dual nozzle meth kit. Way back when I first built my 5.3 single t76 set up it was nearly identical it made 600 rwhp through a th400 and loose converter. The only advantage I had over you was an ls6 intake vs the ls1.

Cool build, good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love my A2A , I see as low as 20* below ambient on 22psi, thats with the a2a and a simple dual nozzle meth kit. Way back when I first built my 5.3 single t76 set up it was nearly identical it made 600 rwhp through a th400 and loose converter. The only advantage I had over you was an ls6 intake vs the ls1.

Cool build, good luck with it!
thanks! I love your builds, you were one of the people who inspired this build. I really think I can push this setup to around 650rwhp on e85. I know skinnies made 68xrwhp and only thing different was a small aftermarket cam. Any good converter recomendations that will keep me on a budget. I do not want to spend 1000.00 on a converter Id like to stay around 500 and have good results.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Honestly the best money I've spent on any of my parts was my custom ptc converter, you would be better off to cheap out on something else and spend the money on the converter. It will make a BIG difference in the cars performance.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I can't spray water/meth on any of my cars. It's considered a power adder.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what is an estimate cost of that ptc unit? I plan on doing a forged 6.0 over the next couple years, are they expensive to reflash the converter for a new setup

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My converter was around 1100 ish if I remember right and it worked good with my stock bottom end 6.0 and just got better and better the more power I made.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts