Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey boys and girls! :)

Yes, Its me again!!! Lol!! (Who the fudge am i, right??!!! Well, I've been flippin first gen Camaro's more than ever and even more so for the last two years or so always thinking that the next one was gonna be it!! Many of you might even have seen a few of my build threads started on here.... lol!! Well, seems that these cars alway ended up beeing liked by someone else more than by me! (Cha-Ching!!) So i always ended up taking the money and running with it.... only to find another project and start all over.

Well, i realised that it might be because i had my share of afirst gen gem's and that it might be because of that that i didnt have more interest than that in finishing (or just pushing) these projects any further... so, thats when i started to think that, hey!! There are other models!!! Lol!! And i started to look at other cars and wonder if i had the choice (which i had!) what would i choose....

My first car in my life was a '68 Chevy 2 (Nova) that i bought and sold a few times (see a pattern here!?) but that i took all the way to show car over the top BB machine at some point so, i did what i wanted to exorcise it out of my system (even tough i know who has it and he has my name if he ever wants rid of it lol!!)

So, that s prolly what got me to pick up that '70 model i just picked up about two months ago! I had just sold all my other cars and decided i had enough for awhile.... you know how that goes!! The same night the last camaro left, i was surfin "just for kicks" pockets filled and "just looking". Well, "Looking" got me to this ad for a stored since '91 '70 Nova with excellent body and clean title for 2k$.......Game on!!

Long story short, car was 8 hours from me, that was Friday night. Time to pack up my gear, get somesleep and hook up the trailer... we were on the road!! I had my best co pilot with me (father of 3 beautifull girls, 8-12 and 14, im spoiled!!) and the middle one has a major thing for cars and is always there in the shop with me and always ready to learn or land a hand, seriously, shes better at 12 than many of my friends will ever be!!
She's the one that pulls on me every friday night to hit the TnT nights or asking "whats the program this week end?" Or, what track are we goint to this week end (even if im not really looking to go, shell ask till i give in!! Lol!!!

Anyway, we get there, pay the man, get this thing up and hit the rd back home.

I already had an super low miles 6.0L and an also low miles all alum 5.3L so i knew i wanted to go LS. (I also have a BB that i toyed with the idea of, but just sold it to a friend to stop all my mind gears). So LS it is!!

I have been working quite seriously on it for the last two months and wasnt sure where to post quite frankly. Beeing a long time member here, i love the place and the traffic makes it cool to get some feedback and help, but i also know nothing (almost) about those snails so i started to hang at TTF (the turbo forums) and tought it could also be of interest....

Anyway, as i said, i know the drill 'round here so, i know we like pics!! Lol!!!

So ill start with the day i got the hulk here!

Here goes nothin,

H

Its an original paint (under the red) car. I dont know what they did with that paint job but its holding in some spots and not so well in others. It makes for a cool look... i think!? Lol!! Anyway, if you dont like it, might as well jump ship as i dont plan on changing it, not right now anyways!!

See, my plan is to do the whole underside of the car super nice, and leave the exterior as bought. Kind of a crusty Nova thing....

Its going pretty well so far and the rate of parts delivery has been constant. The whole underside and inside have been sandblasted so far, epoxy primed and painted so, im moving forward!! Chassis is about to be back to a roller soon, but were getting ahead of ourselves here!!!! Lets start wiith the beginning!

Hope you like what you see! As always, im up for comments and advices!

Lead.

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So i got the car home, power washed it, removed all i could as far as flaking paint and dead body sealer etc etc. I wanted this car squeaky clean!

After that, i evaluated the body a bit more seriously and it seemed very solid,a maybe even more than i saw!! Cool!!! So, thats when i decided i was gonna build this one no matter what! The first step i always take when entering a build is sandblasting. I love it when its clean!! Plus, it helps with welding and general building. So off to sand it was...

But first, i had to take it apart....

Thats went soooooo well!!! No bolt argued to get out! Not one broke! Nothing went south!! Man!! It was like that car was saying "Hey man, thanks for doing something with me! Ive been doing nothing since '91 and boy has it been long!!" LOL!!!

So i kept on getting it ready for blasting.

Lead

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That subframe above is the best one i have had the opportunity to see in my life! (and i've seen another one or 12 in that time frame!lol!!) enough that i even considered offering it to a guy i sold a Camaro project (hes making a NEW car out of it / well, it was a Dynacorn shell lol! So tech, it is new... but he had ni fame in the deal) because i tought it was a sacrilege to use this in a "ugly" race car!!lol!! But, as youll see.... it got to be influencing the build a little instead.

So out to blasting we go!!

It was looking quite scaly but it was solid by my "screwdriver" testings!! So i hoped for the best...

Lead.

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When i picked up the remains..... they were exactly as when i sent it in!! No surprises! Trunk pan is clean, rear inner wheel houses are perfect, firewall is primo and the structure is nothing short of perfect!! The only soft spots were the floor pans ahich i knew beforehand, id need to attend to.

The only thing was tha, now that i had that stupidly good and clean subframe, i couldnt use it w/o feeling guilty if i. Didnt at least try to make all that look, somewhat good!! So i decided that id try to make the floor repairs as if they were never touched by making my cuts and welds onto the floor's crossbraces. Making my welds inside the bracing would not show when looking from underneat and inside, well... carpeting would show whatever weld i had done.

But the condition of the steel of the car was a real benefit and up to a point, a good and positive surprise!!

See for yourselves!!

I had to make use of ingenuity (LOL!! Yeah... Redneck styling!!) to easily blow the excess sand out of the rockers and every crevasses in the chassis (still find sand every day to this day... dammit!!!) but it worked and i like to kid that i have now opened my own private beach lol!!! ...its not quite far from the truth tou know!

Also got the sub frame cleaned up...

And a few other parts rapidly...

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The underside started to look as good as the subframe sooooo......

Check out the joints between the lower 1/4 panel and trunk floor's drop sides! We can even make out the spotwelds!! Thats what i call clean! And solid!! The black little grains and spots are body sealer leftover's!! I also removed the body plugs to empty all and any sand i could when it came back LOL!!! That was funny!! Should have seen my youngest... "can i have it to play??!! Lol!!! Sure baby....sure...."

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man, i have a whole lot more to post! I'll have to take a seat and get to it!!

Glad you like it,

Lead.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
looks like fun...always good not finding extra rust holes lol

·
Registered
551 Posts
The cold and snow will be here soon. Looks like a great project. Hope you have a nice warm garage. Better than sitting in the house watching TV all winter.

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice work. What blaster did you use and how long did it take you to blast it?
Lol!! I didnt blast it myself!! I sent it out... :)

I left it there and picked it up later. Cost 300$ and its money sooooo well spent! (For everything, car's tub, subframe and rad support etc etc)

Lead.

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I then started to work a little on the firewall.... i kinda like it when everything is clean under the hood!

I usually fill my heater box completely shut, but i had a guy once that i sold a car to who ended up wanting it original looking with the "original" heater pieces etc etc and it caused a few problems w/ the sale so, i tought i could prolly do it differently from then on and keep the job a bit mooore... "everyone", just in case you know?

Still, i begun with the base, a few coats of epoxy primer.

Then i fixed a few holes along w/ a few bumps and bruises the car inherited over the years;

I had this plate left over i had gotten for a Camaro project at some point, its been hung on the wall forever, so i tought id give it a try and see what it could look like...

I wasnt "in love" with the plate but decided it was worth it as it saved quite a bit of fab time and would permit going back to stock if ever needed for whatever reason. :)

Its the LIP contouring the filler plate that i wasnt too sure about. It is kind of rough looking and even looks better from the back!! Lol!! But i tought id give it a chance to see it painted and yeah, anyway... its behind everything in there LOL!! ...and dammit! I keep forgetting but, its supposed to be a track Car!! :rolleyes::)

Still...... im having fun...!

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get or borrow a good leaf blower and blow everything out.
Lol!! I did!!! The leaf blower, the compressor, opened EVERY port on the body and im really going to punch holes here and there (nothing apparent of course) to let it all out. Im going to make these opening really functionning ones that should have been there from the factory anyways.

Thanks for the advice!! It did do a great job with the blower and the Compressor was good for more specific spots.

Lead.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Lead, check out a nova build on turbobullet called 71 Nova TT (ginny). Awesome car and build. He left the body too. Im doing the same as you with a 69 nova. LS turbo 5.3 E85 motor. I will be watching and stay in touch.

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lead, check out a nova build on turbobullet called 71 Nova TT (ginny). Awesome car and build. He left the body too. Im doing the same as you with a 69 nova. LS turbo 5.3 E85 motor. I will be watching and stay in touch.
Hey thanks Lance,

Yeah ive seen it. Nice car! I love those projects!! I cant wait to drop mine back on the ground!! Just to be a roller again will be a major motivation!! (Not that im not mativated lol!!!)

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Talking about a roller.....

Its well on its way to becoming so!!

I filled and finished my firewall,

As well as the sub frame...

After the epoxy primer, i used a can of Eastwood's high ceramic satin black i had from awhile back, it went thru freezing temps and all so i was a bit scared of using it... but it performed like a champ!, and i LOVE the finish and it really looks to be scratch proof!!

Then i had the floors to decide on. ....yeah, they were nice but had some issues. Mostly soft and pittings here and there. I could have done w/o replacement but i looked at it and (since im a First gen Camaro nut) i saw that Nova's have a different set up underneat, they have braces that you can hide your welding into.... so that motivated me to try and replace em w/o it really showing.

This is before final fitting and paint...

Holes in my car!!!

But it didnt last too long. Imhadnt done "pans" in awhile.... didnt remember it was 4 sides to every piece of grinding, fitting and overall WORK!!! I have been doing full floors on Camaros and its a lot lessw work.... even tough its a bigger piece.

After all that work, i took the paint gun to it and did the complete underside!! It looks real good and will be a whole lot o fun to work on and new parts will shine against it!!

Me Happy!!:p

That was a big chunk of work, but its done now!!!

Lead.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Man, the floors look good! Mine needs full floors on either side of the tunnel, trunk, mini tubs, tail panel and really partial quarters, plus a firewall fix. Love the firewall too.

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, Sunday!!! Im gonna try to get this thing up to date. Raining and COLD today. Went to the pool training with the little one (sync'd swimming) @ 8.00 and just back, planning to give time to the kids today.... (but the two others are still sleeping!! So i have a bit of time to kill....

Here is the list of parts that i got so far. The two oldest came in the shop to open all the boxes with me, we had a blast listening to music and just acting foolisH!!

The plan is to run an 5.3LS i got from a buddy. Its a 2013 take out from a truck. Its rated at 335. Its an all aluminum bullet (i know... not best for boost, but since i plan to stay under 20 pounds, it might survive...some.)

Here it is.....

I had a 6.0L before but ended selling it to another friend when i got the new Camaro and "tought" i was done with these builds.... yeah, bummer!

I had gotten the Turbo headers already at that point to put in a 69 Cmaro chassis car i had laying around... the headers are still in the plan tough!! They are very nice!! Especially for the price,

Plenty of plug clearance!!

Either up or down

·
WHAT?
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Man, the floors look good! Mine needs full floors on either side of the tunnel, trunk, mini tubs, tail panel and really partial quarters, plus a firewall fix. Love the firewall too.
Lol!! Thats why i vowed to NEVER get into a project that would need a big job like that anymore!! It sucks r energy from the get go! Not mentionning your time!!! (...err..sorry man!!) but ive been there and done that so many times, now, its blast and get on with it or ill pass. The floors were not too much but borderline.

I also have to fix the tailpanel on mine. It got hit like, from the top?? Its like. Afork lift slammed where the lid shuts. Its not that bad but its gonna be easier to replace it or at least part of it then try too unfold it....

Part is in!!

I have a serious back problem. Ive been thru surgery twice so far and now im doing almost as good as new but have a really short endurance level. (Take breaks often and dont really work complete days in a row or ill pay for WEEKS!!) and that had me stopped for a few years. My wife had bought me a Eastwood Tig and Plasma cutter a few years back (like 4?) and i just got to try em out on this project!! I cut the floors out with the plasma and MAN!!! Has that tool became my best and favorite one fast!!! Woohoo!!, talk about not losing time and doing a clean job!!

The TIG i needed some Argon for and some filler so i also had to spring for....

But its soooo much cleaner and a lot more calm to use (no noise!!) i really like it. It also lets you do welds that dont even need cleaning!!

I also got this Ebay special i felt like trying... for 25$ its MUCH better than the old one i had....

While were talking tools, i have gotten a few cages under my belt and i had good results with CompEng Units. They fit very nicely, are pretty complete and i just add some tubes to them to fit my needs. I got a 10 point for the Nova and itll be tigged in.

And one thing i always wanted to try was this little gem,

...so it found its way into my cart on one of the orders from one of the big places! It looks to be simply made, not too impresse of the sturdiness, hopefully itll do its job. It moves very well, its just that the plastic weights nothing so it feels "light". Maybe it ps just my expectations from looking at it online....

Who doesnt love new tools eh!!??

1 - 20 of 364 Posts