Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of a 68 Camaro with a fiberglass body that I've been working on off and on for over a year. But its back and Its not leaving until it's shiny with my name on it somewhere. The car had a steel body on it with just a fiberglass front end but was wrecked and the customer decided to go with a all new body.

However the chassis shop that mounted the body didn't really do me any favors and It would have been far easier and faster to have mounted it myself.

So far, after extensive work I've got all the panels fitting, and all the body work on the qtrs, roof and deck lid finished and re gel coated. The doors and front front end are not far behind.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,338 Posts
Shoot!!! you stopped just as it was getting interesting............

What color(s) combination???

I HATED doing cages, I would always use a pressure pot, way easier!

Looks Good!!!

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am located in LaPlata, Missouri its in the very north east corner of the state. I believe the car is going to be red with black Super Sport stripes, but nothing is really set in stone, nothing real crazy though.

Here are a few more pictures of the progress and where I am at on it as of today.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,338 Posts
Cool, I was born in KCMO (Raytown) a loooong time ago in a galaxy waaay far away!

Just retired from 40 years of custom and collision painting.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the body off it wasn't all that bad, Ive painted quite a few of them and I usually use single stage so you only have to make two or three passes around the chassis but on this one the customer wanted clear coat so I had to make like five trips around the chassis. It can get really exhausting, you definitely want to be well rested before you start. I use a really hot reducer when doong chassis, it makes it a little easier to run but it really helps open your window between coats and it helps all the overspray from painting adjacent bars melt in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will post up some pictures this evening, the owner made a last minute decision to install carbon wheel tubs and redo the window frames, so I can't go any further until he finishes that stuff, I'm in the middle of painting this turbo camaro, tri coat....plan to have it out of here in the next few weeks then I'll be working on the 68 full time until its out of here, I hope. Seems like I kick one out the door and two more roll in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cleared the car earlier this week. Finally right? I still have to color sand and buff the car but it turned out extremely nice considering my paint environment. I have several other pictures of the priming and blocking process but I figured I would just fast forward on to the cool stuff like they do on TV. Its a custom color, don't ask what it is because I don't really know, The base color for the stripes was 1684 (white toner) with a splash of blue then a custom pearl coat on top, the base color for the car was 1696 and 650 silver and about 38 straight hours later we had this.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/9540_10151532921789770_2116591992_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 45 Posts