Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 64 GTO with a stock style rearend. Would you believe not a 12 bolt in these cars? New gears and eaton posi but need new axles. There are no beefed axles for this rearend? Could convert to 12 bolt or can I have 12 bolt housing ends put on it? Don't really want to redo the whole thing as I just need axles and c-clip elim's. Any ideas on axles or do the 12 bolt??? Thanks

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I've got a 64 GTO with a stock style rearend. Would you believe not a 12 bolt in these cars? New gears and eaton posi but need new axles. There are no beefed axles for this rearend? Could convert to 12 bolt or can I have 12 bolt housing ends put on it? Don't really want to redo the whole thing as I just need axles and c-clip elim's. Any ideas on axles or do the 12 bolt??? Thanks
..how many spine's is the center chuck..third member????

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
..they have 10 bolts in that year... I think ... it has been a long time ...playing with that rear!!!!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
64 GTO doesnt have a center section. It has an inspection cover on the back. I had never seen a GTO come with a 10 bolt. After some digging I did find most came with a 10 bolt unless ordered otherwise.

·
Registered
31,654 Posts
It is not the same 10 bolt as a Chevy. It may be the same as some other GM corporate 10 bolt units in BOP cars.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a weird rearend. Knowbody makes axles for this rear. I've called everybody. Not sure what to do? The mustang guys weld 9 inch ends on an 8.8. Why can't you do that with this? Or is it cheaper to just get a 12 bolt?

·
Registered
31,654 Posts
They take a different gear set and bearings. They were considered to be stronger than a Chevy 10 bolt. Find a picture of the cover gaskets to identify which one you have. Because they all fit the 4-link arms they interchange amoung the cars, so you could have any one by now. I think in one or more years there were different "10 bolt" rears in the same car line. I remember having that problem with a '69 442 (I think it was). The Chevy was by itself but the others, Tempest, Cutlass, Skylark, used various others in different years (late 60's). It caused confusion then, as now.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
it is a weird rearend. Knowbody makes axles for this rear. I've called everybody. Not sure what to do? The mustang guys weld 9 inch ends on an 8.8. Why can't you do that with this? Or is it cheaper to just get a 12 bolt?
......How many splines is the center section???? or the original axels ???....28...???? and the mustang guys weld on big ford rear end housings ...but they have custom axels made into an upgraded 8.8 spool.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all the replys and help. I will take pics and get info and post back up tomorrow. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
There is no center section. Unless you are calling the carrier a center section,which it isnt. The inspection cover comes off and all the internal parts come out thru the back. All those bolt up from 64 - 72 midsize cars, Gto,Tempest,Chevelle,Cutlass. You may have what GM called a service 10-bolt. They were a stronger version used in the GTO....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts