Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was having some 2 chamber flows put on the merc, sounds bad ass btw, I snapped a few pics of the rear end. any idea if this looks like a gm 10 bolt from like a 77-85 caprice? i'd like to source a rear swaybar for the car. The frame under the car is supposedly a 77-85 caprice frame we thought a parissiene but it has the stock motor mounts for a sbc.

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Looks like a B-O-P 10 bolt...not the same as the Chevy 10 bolt. The "moon" cutouts on the cover are the giveaway.

So far as the mounts go, GM started using the "corporate" SBC in '77 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B.O.P. 8.2-inch 10-boltThis axle would probably only turn up in a '67-'69 Firebird, but after all these years, who knows what swapping has gone on before you got there. It still has ten bolts in the cover, but note the two cutouts in the nine and three o'clock positions. The B.O.P. rear also uses flanged axle retention, rather than the C-clips used on the other two assemblies. View Related Article

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Yeah...they are in a lot more than Firebirds, though. Probably in Olds intermediates more than anything else, but I've also seen 'em in LeMans, Skylarks, etc. Randy's still carries some parts for them. Looks like Hotchkiss may make a swaybar that will work, 2205R.

·
Aviation Section
25,991 Posts

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Homespun, when I look at that link the mounting holes look different?
Might be. It's listed for late '70s Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Chevy big cars...Caprices, Bonnevilles, & so forth. I'm not sure that's what you have for a frame, though- those axles are usually found on intermediate frames rather than full-size cars.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the help guys.

When you say intermediate, you are referring to Lemans, Malibu like that? I might have one of those frames, as there is an added section to the frame in the back of the car. Car overall is like 115 inches, but there is a foot section added in the back.

If I could find sway bars this car would handle awesome.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
maybe a g body frame?...

whats the wheel base.

upper control arms?...

if it was 67-69 f body it would have leaf spring perches instead of lower control arm, and coil spring mounts.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
dont hold me to this but the BOP and Chev 10 bolts had a couple versions. Some having little square notches on the bottom of the housing(like yours) and ones that have half moon indentations where the square notches are found. Yours is the more desirable of the 2.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
shocks are on the wrong side for a 68-72 A body.

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
I'm gonna say 73-77 GM A-body.

Thats what the rear suspension looks like to me and a BOP car from that era would have that axle in it.

77 up Full size GM would have an 7.5 or 8.5

G-body won't have that axle and lower shock mounts.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
Yup, 8.2 10 bolt. I had one in a 1970 Camaro and found out the hard way when I went to get bearings for it! The parts DO NOT interchange with the more common 8.5 10 bolt like my 1972 & 1973 Camaros came with.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Looks like a B-O-P 10 bolt...not the same as the Chevy 10 bolt. The "moon" cutouts on the cover are the giveaway.

So far as the mounts go, GM started using the "corporate" SBC in '77 if I recall correctly.
Some of the Pariseine how ever you spell it came with a sbc from the factory.......a friend of mine parents had one in the 80's......

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
Thanks again for the help guys.

When you say intermediate, you are referring to Lemans, Malibu like that? I might have one of those frames, as there is an added section to the frame in the back of the car. Car overall is like 115 inches, but there is a foot section added in the back.

If I could find sway bars this car would handle awesome.
Yup...mid-size cars. Is the wheelbase 115", or the overall length of the car? Edit...118"? Hmm...not a '77 wagon, either...makes me think the frame is older than '77.

A Caprice or Parisienne of the generation starting in '77 had 116" WB, actually the same as a 4-door Chevelle of that year. Was the extra frame rail added behind the rear axle?

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Yup, 8.2 10 bolt. I had one in a 1970 Camaro and found out the hard way when I went to get bearings for it! The parts DO NOT interchange with the more common 8.5 10 bolt like my 1972 & 1973 Camaros came with.
I had the same experience with my 72 Chevelle, bought parts thinking it was an 8.5 ten bolt, found out quickly that it was an 8.2. :mad:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts