Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1946 International Pick Street Rod project....

45K views 80 replies 14 participants last post by  Larry84GT 
#1 ·
So i was at work friday and had mentioned i was looking for a old pick up to do a street rod rat rod deal. One of the guys told me he saw 2 truck cabs sitting out by this house with a for sale sign on them. So the wife and i decide to take a ride out to see if we can find them. Well we did find them ... i was thinking whats this guy gonna want for these things, everyone seems to think they have gold. The guy who had them was pretty cool and had pretty some sweet projects that he was working on. Well i ended up getting both cabs and other related parts and a sbc 350 and th350 trans for what i thought was a fair price. Actually what i paid for all of it was what i could flip the motor and trans for ...
The only thing i did'nt get was the frame, it was a s10 frame with no title so i am up in the air as far what direction i am going to go with that. Maybe a donor s10 to use the floor pans and seats and pedals and other related shit. Or just go with a street rod frame.... Here's what we ended up with ....

See less See more
#3 ·
I looked up the name on the doors and it appears that truck was part of The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Co... that one is going into storage. i can't tell what name is on the doors of the green one..someone put stickers over what was faded out....hav'nt tried to peel off the stickers yet...

#6 ·
well i found a wrecked s10 to use for my donor frame. Sold the yellow cab and related parts, pretty much made my money back on what i paid for the 2 cabs. Ordered some new pieces for the sbc.. and some front suspension parts...waiting for those to come in. Hopefully have the cab on the frame in a few weeks ... Hoping to use the floor from the s10 ...should work ....

#8 ·
Re: 1946 International Pick Up Street/Rat Rod project....

The 350 that came with the truck cab turned out to be in decent shape, possibly a recent rebuild....Decoding the numbers show it out a 77 Camaro ...had good crosshatch on the cyclinders, bearings looked good, timing chain was new...so i pretty much just ordered up new valve covers,timimhcover and oil pan. Found a old school intake on carb on craigs list, rebuilt the carb and cleaned the intake. Also the new control arms for the frame showed up.
Before:

After:

#9 ·
Well i have half the frame cleaned and painted...The Summit chassis spray bomb stuff worked pretty well... just have to put it on thick .... new front control arms and 2" drop springs are in on... the wife helped put the springs in ...forgot how much a pain in the ass they are .... dropped the engine and trans in it today ...did'nt get a trans x-member with the frame ...so i had some scrap tubing and 1/8 plates ...so i spent the morning fabbing that up... finish it up tomorrow and then drop the cab on and then go from there...

#11 ·
picked up some like new s10 headers from craigslist ... and cut apart the 4 section hood , i am going to use the 2 top pieces and most likely just hold them on with some dzuz fasteners ... i plan on driving it with out a hood most times ....

#12 ·
heres the latest ...picked up some pulleys off a 73 Camaro ...even the power steering if i choose to have power steering.... have the most of the frame for the floor done .... the cab is mounted to the frame .... now its time to frankenstein the rest of the floor sheet metal in ... i am trying to use all the sheetmetal from the s10 cab for the floors and whatever ... i am using the rocker panels from the s10 to make the sill plates for the IHC cab ....

#13 ·
Tracked down a kb6 grill that will match the hood ... so now i will just have to mock everything up and get some brackets welded to the frame ...then find a radiator that will fit into the grill shell....

#17 ·
After collecting a bunch of parts over the winter ...getting back started on the 46.... mocking up the grill shell and the headlights & hood ....
Did'nt realize what the going price of a IHC grill was .... Scored this one for $100 .... its beat up ,but perfect for what i am doing ....

#19 ·
A few recent pics...almost finished with the floor ...alot of burned wire to get this done .... hopefully be finished with it this week . Have the bedsides on ...The spun aluminum gas tank should be coming into today and that will be mounted in the bed... Then it will be time to tackle the steering,brakes,gas pedal.... Fun stuff ....

#20 ·
Oh yeah ... i will be shortening up the nose by at least a foot ... hope to order the radiator by end of the week and move the grill shell back once i get the radiator in ... Should fix the long nose look.... Not sure how i will section the hood pieces but i'm sure i'll figure it out....

#22 ·
I have seen the same grill on ebay starting at 400-500 bucks ... althou they looked to be in better shape .... this one was a deal plus i could go drive and pick it up ... also i'm going to chop it up a bit so i could'nt see doing that to a real nice one. I am looking for some type of front skinny .... i may just get a set of those skinny 4" chevy rally wheels ...

#24 ·
Heres some updated pics...floors done except for some bottom side touch up welding .... seam sealer & some sort of sound deadner.... i have the rest of the framing done in the truck bed ....just have to weld in some 1 x 1/8" strips to hold in the wood bed. I am thinking of going with cedar planks for a picnic table look. The radiator and grill shell are in ... ended up shortening the nose by 6" ... i still have to section the hood sections to fit. Next things on the list are Windshield and crank out mechanism... i have a box of misc parts and all of that seems to be there. I have the gas pedal,brakes, steering column to do also. Looking at Lokar stuff for the throttle pedal and a Speeedway 24" column . Saw a brake pedal assembly online for a street rod that should work....

#25 ·
Yesterday i decided to drop the dist in to make sure i had enough clearance for it. Well its pretty close to the firewall but good enough. My wife and i just moved the cab around to where we thought it looked good ... Worked out pretty good... Today i dug thru the boxes of stuff i had gotten with the cabs, put the windshield crank in and also found the emblems that were missing on the dash. I was pretty pumped to find these... They are brass and cleaned up pretty nice, i will most likely paint them black and then hit them with a 3m pad to bring the lettering back to the brass ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.