Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Information Desk
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. guys, just throwing this out there. I am giving strong consideration to going to 18 degree heads in the near future. They will be going on my 383. I know that isn't optimal cubic inches for those heads, but I'm on a budget and only spending where I need it most. I've heard that the Brodix 18x's aren't that good. Anyone have any experience with the Trick Flows? I really like the specs on the BMF's! Anyone with experience with these? Or Darts? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!:prayer::Kneel

·
Information Desk
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O.K. with the risk of sounding REALLY dumb, around how much are those heads? Wasn't sure if they were $3350 per head or for a pair. Hope I don't sound too clueless!

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Its not a dumb question at all Those monster heads maybe to much for your 383 The 18X's are not worth the money and will turn into a money pit. Curtis will tell you what you do need and set you right. He is the man and will not just try to take the money and run like a lot of places do

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Buy the heads from Curtis. Otherwise you'll end up buying BMF's and eventually they'll go to someone like Curtis for updates. Save yourself a few steps & get the good stuff now.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Buy the heads from Curtis. Otherwise you'll end up buying BMF's and eventually they'll go to someone like Curtis for updates. Save yourself a few steps & get the good stuff now.
true story. I sent my BMF's to curtis and picked up an average of 23cfm across the board. even more on the higher end. and that was with minimal porting. my glidden intake is there right now. I wish I would have just bought his heads. but I hadn't even heard of his stuff when I bought the bmfs. my vote is if your starting fresh go with curtis 100%.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
BMF heads are made by CFE to provide a semi massed produced heads to give those on a budget an option to use 18˚ heads without the high cost. CFE also makes better 18's and 15's, but at a higher cost. However, I think you will get a better head from Curtis for the money spent. And built to match what you will run it on.

·
Information Desk
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Thank all of you so much for the response and the info. I will definetely give Curtis a call! This is what I like. Someone does great work(Curtis) and stands behind it and racers will share that with other racers and everybody wins. Thanks again guys!!! All of you ROCK!!!:prayer::prayer::prayer:

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Wasn't sure if they were $3350 per head or for a pair.

I'll be MORE then glad to build you a set for $3350 each !!!!!!!!
but I'll offer a discount, .. buy one head for $3350, .. get the second
one free ! :p

OK, sorry, I'll quit joking around, . . yes give me a call ( warning
it's hard to get through most times ) I'll do the best I can to help.
I have at least 6 different port programs for the 18* head and
will build them custom. ( see the last page of the convetional big block thread. )

Gang, .. thank you all for the kind words, .. thank you.

Curtis

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
Hey Curtis. I have a few questions. I am buying a Shafiroff shortblock (434 ci) off a guy. It was making 825 hp with 15 deg heads from Shafiroff. What is the advantage of 15deg head over 23 deg heads (sorry, I am a dummy when it comes to this). I have a set of AFR 210's with T&D shaft rockers on my 383 that I run now and they work great, but are not enough head for the 434. What would you recomend for this combo?? It is going into my 72 Camaro weighs in at 3350lbs with me in it. I will be running alcohol (4.1 1800 cfm Rons flying toilet) on this combo. What kind of money am I looking at for heads with all the bells and whistles including T&D shaft rockers. I want a set of kick ass heads that all I have to do for the next several years is check springs. I have not picked a cam yet. This is the short block.

Motown block
Callies Dragon Slayer Crank
Lunati Pro Mod Rods
14.5 : 1 compression ratio (w/ 15 degree heads)
7 quart Milodon Pro pan
SFI Harmonic balancer
MSD Crank trigger

·
Registered
752 Posts
I would say a good ball park price of $5500 at least for heads and intake and rockers etc.
3350 ish heads
380 ish for intake
600 ish for porting intake
1000 ish for rockers
380 ish for cam

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Ya ish is right. I am guessing your 383 is using a 4.030 bore right? I would say your bore size is going to be the problem with getting any high end cylinder head to perform. Valve size will be limited and it will need to be custom for the 4" bore. You may want to keep the 383 as a back up and start a new bullet with the 4.125 bore.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ya ish is right. I am guessing your 383 is using a 4.030 bore right? I would say your bore size is going to be the problem with getting any high end cylinder head to perform. Valve size will be limited and it will need to be custom for the 4" bore. You may want to keep the 383 as a back up and start a new bullet with the 4.125 bore.

VERY, VERY good point, .. small bores don't work well with high end
heads, ..
I'd drop to a 2.125" for that bore, .. and it'll loose a fair amount of flow
compared to a 4.155" bore a 2.18" valve.

Curtis

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
Hey guys, I can pretty much do what ever is needed. I have the Schaffiroff short block (Motown) in 1 corner of the garage (4.155" X 4" stroke) In the other corner of the garage I have a new Dart Little M (4.030") block that I grenaded after 7 passes this spring. Block is good to go just need a sleeve. I can go 4.185 X 3.875 max recomended by Dart. I have a stock GM Block (010 cast) 4.030 bore that is filled and in good shape with a set of hogged out Brodex heads. In the car right now I have a mild 355ci (010 cast) with a set of hogged out Dart Pro 1 200's. I have a set of AFR 210cc SBC Eliminator CNC'd heads with T&D shaft rockers. I'v got cams, rods pistons, Jessel belt drives, oil pans, distributers, intakes ect, ect, ect for SBC (I have way to much crap in my garage). What I want to do is build a KICK ASS strong (no junk) big cubic inch SBC and have one of the other engines sitting in the corner complete as a spare, and sell the rest of this crap off. I am just lookin for ideas.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts