Yellow Bullet Forums banner

16V battery vs. 12V battery performance

10K views 62 replies 27 participants last post by  www.batteriesareus.com 
#1 ·
I am sure that you are all aware of the benefit of running a 16V system over a 12V system. I regret to say that it took me until last week to finally make the change to 16V. Since we do not run an alternator we were running (2) 12V batteries and replaced this with (1) 16V battery. We noticed a performance improvement of 7.78 to 7.64 in the 1/4 mile and we also gained 3 mph. So I guess that was a very cheap ($700.00 for battery and charger) way to gain .14 seconds overall.

#2 ·
Which battery do you use? Thanks!
Mike

#4 ·
Why do you think you picked up so much? Did you have some known problems that this fixed with your ignition? I know a couple guys who went to 16 volt and gained nothing but the motor starts better. That ET gain is HUGH. Congrats. RM

#6 ·
If I had to take a guess, I'd say the fuel pump(s) are much happier now and are flowing more fuel at the top end and the ignition is a little hotter too.

#12 ·
The reason we switched to the 16V system was....

With the 12V system our data recorder showed a "noisy" graph from 7000rpm and up. Our battery voltage was 11.2V throughout the pass since we had 2 batteries running the electronics. Thinking that our MSD ignition system had issues with that low voltage and was giving us the "noisy" graph we switched to 16V. However we are still not getting a clean rpm graph on the top end of the run. We now know it is not the voltage that was creating the problem, I guess we have to keep looking.

#15 ·
You guys running alternators? I'm not, we see 15.4-15.0 during the pass.

#17 ·
I'm running a Powermaster 16v battery and a small Powermaster Delco style alternator. It's one of the XS volt deals. With the Fuel pump at 50psi, ignition, water pump, and fan, it's at 17volts. The alternator is 60amps at idle and 140 going down track. I usually never charge the battery at the track. :supz: Powermaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.