Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the battery charger on my Turbo Start batteries today. They are the old style that you have to put the acid in. They are 4 yrs old. When I'm not racing, I charge them fully once a month. Well today I starting charging them right after lunch. I want to say the gage on the charger showed about 10 which is normal for when the batteries have been sitting w/o use. The next time I looked it was showing 15 ( 0 is fully charged). I came back in the shop a couple of hrs later & smelled something. So I took a look at the batteries & it was them. They were hot & had puked up some acid into the little vent jug. The charger was still showing 15. So I cut the charger off & disconnected the batteries. So I don't know how to check a 16V battery. I have a 12V battery tester but that don't do me much good. Could it be a charger problem? I'm just wondering if after 4 yrs the batteries have gone bad. Any suggestions?

·
R.I.P DAD 9-25-2012
4,967 Posts
looks like your cheap ass will be buying some new ones RealCute:

·
T/S 368E
30,597 Posts

Exactly, what's the voltage 1st.

Damn Top, doesn't anything go right for you anymore??? Chevy's never have these problems.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Exactly, what's the voltage 1st.

Damn Top, doesn't anything go right for you anymore??? Chevy's never have these problems.

Not here lately... Don't even give me that Chevy crap, I got Chevy dually.. :) I will definitely check the voltage while I'm at it. I haven't checked anything yet due to the fact that I was mowing the jungle that used to be my yard until 9:00 tonight. Looks like I have something else to figure out tomorrow.

·
T/S 368E
30,597 Posts

I hope you can at least do that right.

I'm doing the shop's grass tomorrow. 2-3 acres.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My little 1 acre jungle has been knocked down with out any problems.. Have fun cutting grass tomorrow. I will be checking batteries.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the voltage on the batteries. One was 17.0V & the other was 17.4V. I took the little overflow bottle that Turbo Start provides out & dumped it. It had about 1/4" of acid in it.

·
T/S 368E
30,597 Posts

Sounds like it charged & maybe the auto circuit is not reading correctly?? Personally I would trust your volt meter until you know if it's the charger. Don't want you to burn up the batteries. Good luck.

Oh, I finished about 2/3's of the field, got hungry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the batteries out & they were both low on water. So I topped them off. One battery started at 5 on the charger gage & is moving up to 10. I checked each hole with a hydrometer & 5 out of eight showed 25%. 3 cells showed discharged. I took the charger off because it was spitting out of the vent some. 2 of the 3 cells that showed discharge have come up. One didn't. I am charging the other battery now. All cells showed 25% with the hydrometer. It is looking like it's taking a charge. Still sucks if one is bad. I still will have to buy 2 sealed batteries. I will have to wait & see.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the verdict is in.. the batteries are dead... At least I won't have to put acid in the new ones!!

·
T/S 368E
30,597 Posts

Chevy batteries never die. They know better.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts