Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the lithium ion lightweight batteries really worth what they cost? Is a 16 volt setup better for a track only nitrous car? I'm very interested in a lightweight battery for the weight savings, just hard to drop 1500-2000 dollars on something your not that familiar with. Wondering how 16 volts effects nitrous tunes, fuel pressure, ignition spark, etc. Also wondering about the durability of these lithium batteries? Is there any 1 particular brand to buy, or need to stay away from? Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
My fuel pressure went up but easy to turn down. I love mine,motor turns over like a champ.Lithium charges way faster.I run a lithium pros [email protected] years with no problems.Braille makes a nice battery as well. You can go 16v Turbo start that is not light weight lithium for less. Is it worth the money? Is anything in a race car?If you need to loose the weight it's a big savings.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Is it worth the money? Is anything in a race car?

HAHA I love how you put it. :):) because racecar

·
T/S 368E
32,457 Posts

All racecars should be 16V now a days. No reason not to, as said, spins motor much better, and they supply pumps and ignition better.

No clue on the new fancy stuff, I'm still using my old D1000 brick.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Once you get to a point where weight reduction is one of the primary focus points, the battery is an obvious choice. Even with the cost of a lithium battery the cost per pound of weight saving is a bargain.

We've been running LithiumPro's batteries for almost 5 years now and have had excellent results with them. We use an auxiliary battery to run the car while servicing it in the pits. The lithium batteries typically charge in 5-10 min.

Electrical/electronic components these days will take 16V DC with no issues. Is it worth the cost?...like many steps along the path to going quicker & faster things aren't worth it until you reach a certain point where you either stop advancing or bite the bullet and move forward.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Single Turbo start here. Running all normal electronics (fuel pump, water pump, fan, headlights parking lamps and brake at night, transbrake, ignition, progressive) and two 4 solenoid NX foggers that pull ALOT out of an electrical system. Best decision I've ever made but like you took some convincing for me to do so. no alternator just charge between rounds. As mentioned I don't believe a lithium is out of site lb per $ and all the more time invested to swap.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Full Size XS-Power 16v here. They do make some lighter-weight options for reasonable $$$.

I've had absolutely zero issues. Car has sat for over 2 months and just went out to build oil pressure and it turned over like it was fully charged.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys. Any and all experiences are welcomed. I was thinking about a lithium pros, or pro lite, or altronics or something similar. I'm really not sure what I need. It's a small block, with a 4 noid fogger, Parking lights, limited use high beam headlights, brake lights, msd digital 7, mini progressive, electric fan and water pump, electric fuel pump. With the magnafuel pro star 500 what do I need to change in it, so it don't over power my 12-803 regulators?

·
T/S 368E
32,457 Posts

Nothing, 16 volts and multiple 803's zero issues ever.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Any and all experiences are welcomed. I was thinking about a lithium pros, or pro lite, or altronics or something similar. I'm really not sure what I need. It's a small block, with a 4 noid fogger, Parking lights, limited use high beam headlights, brake lights, msd digital 7, mini progressive, electric fan and water pump, electric fuel pump. With the magnafuel pro star 500 what do I need to change in it, so it don't over power my 12-803 regulators?
Pretty much sums up my combo and it works great . Xs battery 32lbs .

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
While i alweays consider weight as issue.I can not justify cost of lithium for my deal,strictly bracket.If I was running headsup class then I wouldn't even give it second thought.I look at it like the ceramic bearings.I have been told by few whos veiw I respect that they picked up honest .02 with bearings,cost 200 bucks.For bracket not worth it headsup thats cheap for the gain.
If cost is issue there are cpl different 16v deals and weights range from 30 to 45#. 30# has less capacity but quick boost between rounds when possible and your good.i think lithiums get down to 5# or so and thats lot of weight dropped along with lighter pockets.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I try to be wise in spending money racing-related (if that is possible), because it is likely money you will never recover. The move to an Altronics 16v battery was a positive one for us. The initial cost is high, but the life of a lithium batter should triple the life of the 16v batteries. Also, the weight savings is significant, when that is a consideration. Finally, the re-charge time between rounds is minimal, vs. conventional 16v batteries. Nonetheless, I understand how about $1600 is hard to justify on a racecar. Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for experiences shared y'all. I appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts