Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can run continuously ? I am not talking outlaw tow up fire up tow back stuff.
I had 2 fuse links catch on fire last year on the return road, water pump and fan. I have relay's for both near them and have 2 separate power source's.

I drive this car ligh duty 30 miles or so...

I am thinking of the voltage reducer ?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Is this a street car?? And why are you using a voltage reducer.... I believe all of your accessories can handle the 16 volts.... just curious.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
...And the higher the voltage the less the amperage for any accessory, and high amperage is what causes fuse links/fuses to blow.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I drive to the lanes drive back hell even take it for a cruise on the street
16 volt turbo start--no step down step up bullshit--alt is 18.5 volts
Everything is on relays and all wiring is fresh and dead on

No issues at all

·
Registered
473 Posts
do you notice that big of difference? i am thinking of going from two optima yellow tops with east coast alt. to one 16v and a 16 v east cost alt. will it run everything all weekend with no charging like my current set up will? i run ign, fuel pump, two fans, h2o pump, etc... all good stuff though!

·
Registered
649 Posts
you'll be just fine .... Well maybe..... Whens are table going to be ready..... Lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
do you notice that big of difference? i am thinking of going from two optima yellow tops with east coast alt. to one 16v and a 16 v east cost alt. will it run everything all weekend with no charging like my current set up will? i run ign, fuel pump, two fans, h2o pump, etc... all good stuff though!
i use the east cost alternator and i never have to fool around with a charger. my alt pulley is only 2.5" diameter and my crank pulley is undersized so its always charging. staw away from the 5 inch pulleys with a stock sized crank pulley. as far as the gain, i'm not sure. but the horn sounds funny on that much voltage :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Subscribed to the thread.
We are on the fence right now as to weather to go two twelves or one 16 volt battery. All input is greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
What can run continuously ? I am not talking outlaw tow up fire up tow back stuff.
I had 2 fuse links catch on fire last year on the return road, water pump and fan. I have relay's for both near them and have 2 separate power source's.

I drive this car ligh duty 30 miles or so...

I am thinking of the voltage reducer ?
Assuming you are running an alternator for your 16v system .... what voltage is your alternator putting out?
1) at idle
2) at cruising speeds

Higher source voltage to the component means less current draw. Unless the component's motors are not designed for the higher voltage and are breaking down. What brand water pump and fan do you have?

Other "basics" that are a must with any 12v/16v system .... good grounds and proper gauge wire through out, especially from both battery terminals, if the battery is located in the trunk. On the grounding side, best to have a cable from the battery to the block.

Ran a 16V battery (no alternator) on my tube chassis Beretta for over 10 years and never an issue.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
ive been on the fence about this also! last year ran two optima red tops and an alternator in my tube chassis car and just out of habit hook up the charger every time i got back in the pits anyway....so i wouldnt mind loosing the alt, one factor for me is weight...i stepped on the scale with a red top bat and it weighed 40# so two is 80 pounds! so i could loose at least 50 plus the alternator with the switch! just want to be sure i wont have any issues with running every thing in the car..... sometimes in hot weather later in the rounds i leave the fan and water pump run in the lanes,has anyone done this with no alt and how long can u let them run? usually only takes a few minutes to cool the car down!

·
Registered
473 Posts
do yo need one 16v battery to run all this or two plus an alternator?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I run two of the light weight 16 Volt Batteries. It made everything work better, water pump, fan , fuel pump etc. When you run two batteries you need to remember your charging capasity is cut in half, 25 amp charger is now 12.5 to each battery. I put mine on two days prior to race day and get a full charge, I never have a problem at all.....

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
...And the higher the voltage the less the amperage for any accessory, and high amperage is what causes fuse links/fuses to blow.
This is your answer and all you need to know. ^^^^^^^^

Over "voltage" is not what will damage your componets over "current" is you culprit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts