Yellow Bullet Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts
Why would you limit your alternator? Mine is at about 18.5-19 when going down the track

That's an excellent point, I believe my instructions wants 19.2 vdc.
It might not be a bad idea to run the starter & box full power & step down the computer, pumps & lights???

Screw that, I can buy a transformer & build it myself!!!
I would only need one, lights, computer & pump should fit on one??

Big difference between 16.0 vdc and 19.2 vdc on sensitive electronics designed for 12-14 vdc.

Your electronics manufacturer should list a voltage range that they are designed to work in. My question would be what electronics are you running that are different than everyone else? I’ve never run EFI but I would bet the manufacturer of the brand you’re considering can give you the voltage range. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Discussion starter · #47 ·
I have used the new rock battery and charger for 2 weekends now. Im not to impressed with the battery honesty. Takes a really long time to charge each morning. Make one pass and even an hr on charger after the pass its not fully charged. Was doubled in 2 classes last Saturday late and noticed a big difference in the power of it and my old xs battery. I definitely have to charge this battery after every pass unlike the xs i had. Hopefully it holds up longer age wise then it holds a charge.

I have used the new rock battery and charger for 2 weekends now. Im not to impressed with the battery honesty. Takes a really long time to charge each morning. Make one pass and even an hr on charger after the pass its not fully charged. Was doubled in 2 classes last Saturday late and noticed a big difference in the power of it and my old xs battery. I definitely have to charge this battery after every pass unlike the xs i had. Hopefully it holds up longer age wise then it holds a charge.
Even with the alternator? Thats weird.
Thanks for the info.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Yeah its werid. I won tonight and my last 3 rounds was hot lapped basically with only time to fuel. Battery still cranked the car but it was on the low side for sure.

Still don't understand the desire for 16 volt batteries................ It's not like they can still crank the engine over when they are at 14v, they are fricking DEAD! Just like a 12v battery at 10v............. To each their own...............

Still don't understand the desire for 16 volt batteries................ It's not like they can still crank the engine over when they are at 14v, they are fricking DEAD! Just like a 12v battery at 10v............. To each their own...............
When we ran 12 volt the voltage was always in the high 11 volt range while racing. With 16 volt, the voltage is in the high 15 volt range. Big difference, don't ya think ?. Spark output is so important and back when we had a race prepared Q-Jet on the car that added spark really helped clean off those sooted up wet plugs. That pop banging sound you hear out of a lot of Superstockers is those old Q-jets dropping raw fuel into the motor. They sound killer but they eat plugs. 16 volts and of course modern ignition coils and ignitions cured all that

That's my thinking also. Plus when "THE KING" tells me he recommends a 16 vdc Rock Battery, I listen.

It can make a difference with FI cars. We run high fuel pressure for a few reasons and one of them is how it closes the injector with authority. The 16v will open the injectors with authority creating cleaner cycles in our experience.

It can make a difference with FI cars. We run high fuel pressure for a few reasons and one of them is how it closes the injector with authority. The 16v will open the injectors with authority creating cleaner cycles in our experience.
I think we are switching over to a couple Lithium 16V next year. We always do one update every winter, and since I'm tired of taking a battery out to make weight, this is gonna be the year we do it. You hear anything bad or reasoning why we shouldn't ? It would save us bout 80 lbs. Like you say the FI likes current,so I won't entertain anything but two of them.

Well, since I just Bracket Race and weight/power is not an issue, it's a Group 34 in the back and an alternator up front, sees 14.4 volts from start to finish, yes, EFI, dual 30 amp electric fans, Weldon fuel pump, electric water pump, you name it I have it............. Power windows, locks, and hatch pull-down............. :)

I think we are switching over to a couple Lithium 16V next year. We always do one update every winter, and since I'm tired of taking a battery out to make weight, this is gonna be the year we do it. You hear anything bad or reasoning why we shouldn't ? It would save us bout 80 lbs. Like you say the FI likes current,so I won't entertain anything but two of them.
Randy Mans has had very good success with the Lithium. You might talk to him about the lightweight ones he is using.

Well, since I just Bracket Race and weight/power is not an issue, it's a Group 34 in the back and an alternator up front, sees 14.4 volts from start to finish, yes, EFI, dual 30 amp electric fans, Weldon fuel pump, electric water pump, you name it I have it............. Power windows, locks, and hatch pull-down............. :)
Sure are putting alot of faith in those hatch gears lol.

Sure are putting alot of faith in those hatch gears lol.
Ha, yes I am! Mine are original from 1988 when I bought the car new! The gears on my other car though........ Well, I simply welded the mechanism where it needed to be and close it like a normal trunk/hatch now! :)
PS: I have an Ed Quay spoiler on the back and can use the four strut rods to keep it closed when that hatch motor decides its had enough.............. ;)

41 - 60 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.