Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a XS 16 volt battery and XS charger. This is the 3rd season on them both. 1st race of this yr my charger popped and had a small flame and smoked badly. I bought a new charger and have been fine every week until this past weekend. Went to start the car sat morning before time trials and it cranked slowly and stopped. Battery is completely dead. It will not charge at all. So the battery is junk now as well. So does XS stuff just not last? Both charger and battery needed replaced after only 2 seasons of racing. Have to buy a battery this week so should i look into another brand? Had several racers tell me Saturday that XS batteries are junk and to buy a different one.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My XS battery is eight seasons old. I almost never use the XS charger. I leave it hooked to an Autometer maintainer all the time. I’ll be buying another one when this one finally goes bad.

·
Registered
68,321 Posts
Truth be told, the battery is what most likely took out your first charger.

What type of battery were you running? AGM or lead/acid type? And is the charger the right one for the type of battery you are running?

Does XS have recommendations / guidelines to follow when charging their battery? With my Turbo Start lead/acid batteries I ran, they recommended that before each race, the battery charger be allowed to complete the charging cycle in full. It needed to go into "float mode" and that was near the end of the cycle. And to put the charger on the battery after each round if possible.

Reactions: 1Azgerman

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
So i have a XS 16 volt battery and XS charger. This is the 3rd season on them both. 1st race of this yr my charger popped and had a small flame and smoked badly. I bought a new charger and have been fine every week until this past weekend. Went to start the car sat morning before time trials and it cranked slowly and stopped. Battery is completely dead. It will not charge at all. So the battery is junk now as well. So does XS stuff just not last? Both charger and battery needed replaced after only 2 seasons of racing. Have to buy a battery this week so should i look into another brand? Had several racers tell me Saturday that XS batteries are junk and to buy a different one.
I am on my 3rd season on 2 XS 16v batts and they are going out as we speak. I also run a 16v alt. I have a dsr 16v charger. Seems to be about the life span from what I've heard. Supposedly, the c-tek pulse charger is what you want as it charges the battery different/better. I didn't use any batt tender or anything on mine during the winter and it's not a heated garage. So that doesn't help either.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the xp1000 series xs battery. The correct xs charger with float mode. Battery stays on charger all winter long in a heated garage. I literally just loaded the car 2 days before i went to the track Saturday. It turned over slow which was strange. Then come saturday there was nothing. Wouldn't even run the water pump. When the charger popped at the start of the season it was right when turned it off. Before i clould even turn to take cables off battery it popped and melted down.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Seems if doesn't matter either way or what battery. I have the s1600. They will take a charge, but it doesn't last long.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,893 Posts
The only thing I like about 16 volt batteries is how fast the engine turns over and how fast power windows work, that is it!

When they puke, whatcha gonna do? I stick with 12 volt crap, can always steal the battery out of my trailer or tow vehicle if I am desperate. I run a heavy ass battery in both of our race cars, group 34 or something. Think it weighs 50 pounds or more. Anyway, those bitches as great and I am not worried one bit about the weight, we slow the cars down for 10.00 and 11.50 Index Racing anyway.

A 16v battery below 14 volts is as useless as tits on a bull, they are DEAD! Seems crazy huh, since a 12v battery works just fine........... It's the way it is.

And OP, electronics are only good if you keep the magic smoke inside the semiconductors. Once you let it out, it no-worky no more! :) Sorry, just had to, I've done electronics all my life. You may be able to fix that charger, really surprised a fuse didn't pop first inside of it.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I like about 16 volt batteries is how fast the engine turns over and how fast power windows work, that is it!

When they puke, whatcha gonna do? I stick with 12 volt crap, can always steal the battery out of my trailer or tow vehicle if I am desperate. I run a heavy ass battery in both of our race cars, group 34 or something. Think it weighs 50 pounds or more. Anyway, those bitches as great and I am not worried one bit about the weight, we slow the cars down for 10.00 and 11.50 Index Racing anyway.

A 16v battery below 14 volts is as useless as tits on a bull, they are DEAD! Seems crazy huh, since a 12v battery works just fine........... It's the way it is.

And OP, electronics are only good if you keep the magic smoke inside the semiconductors. Once you let it out, it no-worky no more! :) Sorry, just had to, I've done electronics all my life. You may be able to fix that charger, really surprised a fuse didn't pop first inside of it.
That charger hit the dumpster. Lol

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I always got at least 6 seasons out of the "Rock" battery. Never had and issue with them and i used a turbo start batteries charger.
I now have go lithium batteries going on 3rd season and they're perfect.

·
T/S 368E
28,908 Posts

My D1000 lasted several seasons.
The turbo start before that did puke out at the track, so I did stick a 12V in and finished the event.
The only issue was the recessed plugs didn't work, so I had to charge from inside the car.
Just because you run a 16V doesn't mean you can't throw in a 12v in an emergency.

Reactions: bottlefed1

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I had XS 16 V in my car. 2 seasons was all I got from it. I have the Go Lithium 16 V in it now. If you have a problem with a 16V battery you can always stick a 12 v in the car if needed. You just have to have a 12 v charger which I carry to charge the trailer batteries if needed.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,893 Posts

My D1000 lasted several seasons.
The turbo start before that did puke out at the track, so I did stick a 12V in and finished the event.
The only issue was the recessed plugs didn't work, so I had to charge from inside the car.
Just because you run a 16V doesn't mean you can't throw in a 12v in an emergency.

If you have a 16v alternator you are cutting the belt. And if you were Bracket Racing you better be the faster car the next round and know you are holding now! I have seen cars pickup between .01 and .1 losing an alternator belt during a pass (1/4 mile).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you have a 16v alternator you are cutting the belt. And if you were Bracket Racing you better be the faster car the next round and know you are holding now! I have seen cars pickup between .01 and .1 losing an alternator belt during a pass (1/4 mile).
the 16v is just a tick faster in my car as well. Plus you have to check your fuel pressure as the 12v does not spin the pump as fast.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
That sucks. Sometimes even if lots of people are having good luck with something and you are not it is better for YOU to switch to something else. Case in point. I had a number of friends that were running Goodyear tires. Even though I had never had any luck with Goodyears I went ahead and bought a set. Total crap on my car. I wouldn’t run them again if you gave me some. Maybe it’s time for you to switch. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
That sucks. Sometimes even if lots of people are having good luck with something and you are not it is better for YOU to switch to something else. Case in point. I had a number of friends that were running Goodyear tires. Even though I had never had any luck with Goodyears I went ahead and bought a set. Total crap on my car. I wouldn’t run them again if you gave me some. Maybe it’s time for you to switch. Good luck!
Maybe it's time you fix your setup instead of blaming the goodyears

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Well against my better judgement i ordered another XS battery yesturday from jegs. It came today and was covered in battery acid. Looks like someone took a grinder to the top of it and thats where it leaks. Box was in perfect condition. View attachment 107669 View attachment 107669
We told you, send that POS back and buy the "Rock " battery.....
We led you to water.... Now drink it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts