Yellow Bullet Forums banner

16 volt alternator

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  GregS 
#1 ·
I have a 16 volt alternator...but it will not keep up with what the car needs......I believe it is a 140 amp....I need to pick up a good one. Who makes a good 16volt alternator....I believe mine is a powermaster...its been back to their shop twice! I am running 2 16 volt batteries as well. After running the car...for 10 min....I am dropping below 16....

Thanks, Greg

#3 ·
alternator

We can build a quality alternator
up to 200 amp - with adjustable voltage;
in several different alternator designs and mounts.

Make sure you dont have something else wrong here -;)
two GOOD batteries and a working 140a alternator
should be good combination.

tech@batteriesareus.com
www.thevbattery.com
www.batteriesareus.com
4024085873 phone

Call or email if we can help.

#4 ·
My 16 volt Powermaster has an adjustment screw on the back of the regulator. Very small, recessed, and kinda of hard to see. The directions said, it came from Powermaster, adjusted to 15volts, but could be adjusted up to 18v I think.

#5 ·
alternator

We recommend that you have batteries fully charged,
and adjust this alternator up to approx 18.5-18.9 volts.
Yes they are hard to see the adjustment,
but once you get them up high enough,
you shouldnt have to change them.
15 volt setting is actually discharging the batteries
in use.

Let us know if we can help

tech@batteriesareus.com
www.batteriesareus.com
www.thevbattery.com

#6 ·
140a and two batteries... you've got some other problem in your electrical.

Have you counted up the required amperage needs of each electrical component in the car?

#7 ·
Twin Fuel pumps- 30 or 40 amp each
Twin Fans 30-40 amp
XFI ?
MSD 7531 with HVC 2 coil
LED FAST DASH
Meziere 55gpm electric water pump
Meziere 55gpm elec water pump for intercooler
Tach and 4 gauges
line lock
transbrake

Lights when running at night....

Should be about it.

Greg

#9 ·
Twin Fuel pumps- 30 or 40 amp each
Twin Fans 30-40 amp
XFI ?
MSD 7531 with HVC 2 coil
LED FAST DASH
Meziere 55gpm electric water pump
Meziere 55gpm elec water pump for intercooler
Tach and 4 gauges
line lock
transbrake

Lights when running at night....

Should be about it.

Greg
I agree that a properly working 140a alternator will run everything you have. Have you checked the alt output voltage setting? As stated, if it's under the battery voltage, it will discharge your batteries. 16v batts fully charged are around 17-17.2v so the alt needs to be set above that, 18-18.5v preferrably.

The t/brake, line lock don't add to the alt requirement as they are momentary.

The fuel pumps, ECU drivers and CDI will pull only pull the max current under heavy load. The highest drawing fuel pumps I've ever seen are the Magnafuel at about 27A at 75 psi, yet they are around 15A or less at 40-43 psi. Low impedance inj's can pull 5-7A ea at 90% DC and 15-20 ms, again they pull much less at lower operating parameters. Some elec fan designs will pull 12-15A on start up, but fade off as the blade gets up to speed and only pull 8A or so while running. Anyway, your current alternator, unless it's faulty, should easily run your car IMO.

#8 ·
Mine

I use an East Coast Auto electric 140 amp. No problems at all. And only one agm battery

7531, Dual Fuel Pumps, Dual Fans, Nitrous, Progressive, Brake, Line Loc, Lights,water pump, tach, gauges, shift light.

#10 ·
I will check the alternator...I don't think the alternator is adjustable. I have looked before. It has one single wire. It has been back to powermaster twice. I think they found something last time.

I am running 8 160lb injectors...which are low imped. The fuel system is by Product engineering....which I believe is similar to the Magna Fuel company in design.

I will start it up and put a meter on it. Good point on reading the voltage....I will check. When I charge the batteries, they are around 17-17.5 volts. The single wire is attached via #2 wire to the trunk positive side.

It is a powermaster....

#11 ·
Whoah, #2 charge wire is huge, although you really can never get too big off a wire.

If you are ever curious to see exactly what current a component pulls, buy a little inductive low amp probe for your Fluke meter. They are also available for about every other type of DVOM. They are non-invasive, fully adjustable and usually have a selector switch that allows you to check up to 40A or 400A and a little dial to zero them. They are darn accurate.

You can test components individually on either the ground or power wire; or you can clamp it on the alt wire, start the car, disconnect the battery and see how much the whole car is pulling from the alternator; of course you don't want to run any alternator like that for very long.

#12 ·
Should never disconnect an alternator from a battery while a car is running. The alternator needs to be able to charge a battery, otherwise the + voltage will try to find Ground through the alternators diodes. Not good for the alternator. If it is charging hard it will blow all three negative diodes.

#15 ·
What size is the battery cable?
I use #4 on all the car's i wire and have never had an issue using alts that big. I would assume you cable is around 15 to 18 feet long right ?
If you are using #2 ther should be almost no voltage loss from the post at the rear of the altenator and the connection point on the battery. Is it a solid pc of wire? meaning no cut and spliced sections?

What kind of car with what kind of grounds?
There might be an issue with the engine ground (alt ground) and the ground to the car / battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.