Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power can one make with an oval port 14 degree big chief with a single dominator? The motor is a 600 bbc with 15.2 comp. a 849 lift roller cam. heads flowed 512 on intake. Thanks for any help with this.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Single carb, cast intake?? Depending on what manfiold. and a very large carb, i agree it should approach 11500HP

why not 2 carbs evan on a cast manifold? Is there rules against this in your racing class?

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Mike, 11,500 hp? what are you smoking? Must be some good shit!! HA HA !! Hey, it's labor day week-end, I had to labor just to get on here!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Single carb, cast intake?? Depending on what manfiold. and a very large carb, i agree it should approach 11500HP

why not 2 carbs evan on a cast manifold? Is there rules against this in your racing class?

Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.com
Over the winter I will switch to a Pro Filer tunnel ram and 2 carbs. As of right now it has a dart big chief manifold and 1 pro systems carb.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Over the winter I will switch to a Pro Filer tunnel ram and 2 carbs. As of right now it has a dart big chief manifold and 1 pro systems carb.
Craig, you might want to look at the Schmidt Motor works tunnelram. It's about half the cost of a Pro-filer deal, and since you'll most likely be porting it some anyway, might as well save some bucks.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Curtis, I've been "worried" about this since you posted! NOT A SLAM or anything, but I was thinking you would have made considerably more, IF this was 600 inch motor and YOUR stuff? Sorry.:(

Look at it this way, HP per inch. BES 525 with conventional heads, 1150Hp. That's approx 2.19 Hp/inch. IF that was a 600" motor of yours that made 1280Hp, say 2.13 Hp/inch. Now maybe there is more in that motor or not a max. effort. But I was really expecting and 100+ Hp out of that deal, cuz' I presume that your using 2X4's as well. I would expect 1380/1400Hp with that intake, 2X4's, and THOSE heads! I would think that Hp level, with the Pro-filer and 2x4's on a 500 would make more then 1280 considering 525 making 1150Hp with "conventional" style head and a single ? I know that these would need to MAX efforts deals to do what I'm thinking. :cool:

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Dude,

you are comparing all out max effort engines like the BES engine to
bracket and NOS engines, .. different animals !!!
Also, a 500" engine has very different frictional losses then a 600" engine, ..
they don't easily make the same HP per inch.

The 1280 is a normal effort 600" for top dragster, top sportsman, etc, ..
it doesn't represent what those heads would do on a max effort deal.
It represents a real world dyno number ( not some BS web brag number )
And from the original post, seems we are NOT talking max effort
or he wouldn't be using a .849" lift cam.

Now, take that 14* head and put it on the 525 spinning 9500 rpm, ..
it'll likely make the 100+ hp more you're after.

To make 1400 hp from 525" , .. is NHRA pro stock, something I have a bunch of experience with, .
takes a VERY, VERY serious effort set of heads, 590+ cfm, and TONS of dyno time,
super light parts, special blocks, 60mm cams, .. trick valve trains, etc.

Comparing apples to grapes here, ..

Curtis

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Curtis, that's what I thought, just couldn't get my head around it.

I was thinking the same thing about the cam. I too thought for a max. effort, it was a little small.

The 1400 Hp was with the max effort 600. I was thinking about a Max effort 500 with the 14's and the 2X4's to get 1280. Hp level.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
why would you want to do a max effort 500" to make 1280 when
you could make it with a bunch less work and much less wear on
parts going 600+ ???? Do you LIKE to change valve springs between runs?

Is the this weight break class, pounds per inch, CI limit???

Curtis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts