Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Not as tight as you might think! I forget the torque spec. but when I heard it I was shocked! Good and snug with one hand and a normal length wrench does the trick. No cheater bars or double wrenches !!! And this comes from one overtightening sumbitch! I get bitched at all the time.

·
Horsepower and Hops
4,576 Posts
I assume you guys are taking about u-bolts and nuts. What about straps?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Supershafts, I don't know. I had them make me a 3 1/2" aluminum drive shaft with 1350 yokes and that's the way they came. No fittings. Maybe I better ask them.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yes. And they are a bit stronger being solid. If you have grease fittings, you must load them under compression when torque is applied. Envision twisting the power end and resisting with the diff end, and you will see that if the joint is installed one way, the grease zerk hole is "stretched" and the other way it is being compressed.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thank you, Run, I'll pull the drive shaft over the winter and take it back to Inland for them to tune up the u joints just as a safety measure. I don't want to beak a expensive drive shaft. They are only a few mles from me.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Supershafts, I don't know. I had them make me a 3 1/2" aluminum drive shaft with 1350 yokes and that's the way they came. No fittings. Maybe I better ask them.

AL shafts should never have a greasable joint, the greasable joints do not come with coated caps to prevent electrolysis between the stl cap and al weld yoke.

You should have a spicer 5-800 joint which is a spl joint and 35% stronger than greasable and you'll never have to grease it

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thank you, Run, I'll pull the drive shaft over the winter and take it back to Inland for them to tune up the u joints just as a safety measure. I don't want to beak a expensive drive shaft. They are only a few mles from me.

Depending on hp, and runs you shouldn't have to change them for probably 6 years if your at say 800hp and 200+ runs a year, then at that time check them and look for any stiffness or overly loose

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Depending on hp, and runs you shouldn't have to change them for probably 6 years if your at say 800hp and 200+ runs a year, then at that time check them and look for any stiffness or overly loose
I'm only a little over 700hp and do maybe 100 runs a year. Looks like I got a few more years life left. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
as one buddy said to me when I asked about no grease zerk joints... when was the last time you actually crawled under the car and greased them anyway?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
as one buddy said to me when I asked about no grease zerk joints... when was the last time you actually crawled under the car and greased them anyway?

I get most every customer wanting to have greaseable joints and i see 70% of those same people year after year for new greaseable joints that they never grease. . . .

AND

I hear the same thing year after year, "i thought spicer was the best", they are when you grease them, "i do grease them" then i wouldn't have metal dust on my work bench then. .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts