Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lord of Lords
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a winch in my trailer and need some advice regarding the power source. Currently there is no battery in the trailer, all the 12v comes from the plug from the truck's batteries.

I will be installing a battery on the trailer, I want that battery to work all the 12v lights and stuff in the trailer as well as the winch.

The question is, if I simply connect the battery to the 12v source coming from my truck will the battery charge?

or do I need something extra to make it work this way.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
As soon as I get done eating lunch Im going back out to do exactly this.I picked up some Anderson connectors and will run power straight from my truck battery to the back bumper.Then the trailer gets the other half of the connector to the trailer battery.Some trailers have a small battery charging wire in the harness,but mines a sealed harness and Im not cutting it apart.
Some info here
:http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319642

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Add a 12v continuous duty solenoid inline on the feed wire for your trailer battery, switched by ignition source if you don't want the trailer stuff to draw down your truck. Nothing sucks more than a dead truck battery after a few hours of having your lights on in the trailer..... Available at any parts house....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
There is 2 methods to use

1: Run a charge wire from the back of the trucck alternator to your trailer battery via an Anderson conector [ or the reverse light pin on a 7 pin trailer plug, if the trailer doesn't have reversing lights ]

The alternator has a built in voltage regulator and you have basically put them in parallel,so the batteries will distribute the charge.

Install a diode between the alternator and the truck battery, this way the alternator will charge the battery ,but won't discharge back to the trailer battery [ as both batteries are conected together at the alternator ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2: This method is better for trailers with multiple tow vehicles [ but is slower at charging the battery ]

On the trailer, run a wire [ in series ] with a 20A self resetting fuse and a diode from the trailer taillights to the battery.
When you tow the trailer with the lights switched on the battery is charging.
The diode stops the battery discharging via the taillights and the fuse limits the current draw [ it is better if the trailer has LED lights ]

You will need a Taillight fuse in the truck to match the capacity of the self resetting fuse on the trailer [ or better ]

While you are at it, install a solar battery charger on the roof of your enclosed trailer [ they are cheap these days, and keep the battery fully charged while the trailer is sitting around ]

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Make sure to have some kind of FUSE inline from the trailer battery to lights/etc. The winch usually has some kind of circuit breakers included with them.

Years back I had a major malfunction on my trailer, just noticed it backing into driveway. Wiring was burning up from short circuit because Haulmark didnt seem to want to put any kind of circuit protection on the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts