Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 87 firebird i purchased this summer.It has a certified 8.9 cage,backhalved 4 link.Car ran 9'45s with a 700hp bbc.Well i have decided to either slow it down or sell for something slower.Looking for a consistent bracket car.By slowing it down this would leave me with the option of going faster if I wanted too later.I have a throttle stop (paid $500 for it, a very nice piece), would that alone slow it down without dramatically effecting the convertor. I know this sounds crazy to most, but it is what I want to do. Hopeing to improve the safety of the car and still have fun.

·
PROUD AMERICAN WORKER!
7,416 Posts
I currently have a 87 firebird i purchased this summer.It has a certified 8.9 cage,backhalved 4 link.Car ran 9'45s with a 700hp bbc.Well i have decided to either slow it down or sell for something slower.Looking for a consistent bracket car.By slowing it down this would leave me with the option of going faster if I wanted too later.I have a throttle stop (paid $500 for it, a very nice piece), would that alone slow it down without dramatically effecting the convertor. I know this sounds crazy to most, but it is what I want to do. Hopeing to improve the safety of the car and still have fun.
Throttle stops not legal in alot of classes.. What other kind of cart you have on mind.... Might be interested in your piece.....

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If the car is that fast and you have a throttle stop. Why not just run it in a index class that is in the neighborhood you feel comfortable?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Most non-electronics classes will still let you run a fixed-position throttle stop. Just disconnect any electrical or CO2 lines and set it at a specific position.

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
I don't know Of any index races that allow a throttle stop. If I had to slow it down I would pile weight into in and just short shift the heck out of it.

Or you could run NHRA/IHRA Super Rod or Hot Rod.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. I do have a 383sbc that dyno'd at 470hp.It is built for the street (hyd roller lifters, forged crank,forged h beam rods,forged ross pistons,arp studs,afr heads).This might just do the trick instead.Did not think of using this engine earlier.What do you think?The firebird has a Dana 60 with 454 gears.My gears might be too steep for a hydraulic cam though. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts