1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
495 Posts
Chevrolet Passenger car 12 bolt is dramatically different than a truck 12 bolt. Basically all they have in common is 12 bolts holding the rear cover on.
I do remember there being 3 different carriers for a passenger car 12 bolt; 2 series, 3 series and 4 series.
Is this a Chevrolet passenger car 12 bolt or an Oldsmobile 12 bolt. Also dramatic difference between the two.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I questioned him some more about it today and he's never had the cover off. So he's got some investigating to do before he's ready to buy anything. I'm trying to get him to at least put a 3.08 in it so that finding a carrier will be easier but I'm not sure he go for it. He's skeptical that a 3.27 or 3.42 would improve his mileage around town, which is mostly where he drives it, but I think it would.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Well he has a 455. Changing gear isnt going to make much of a difference in mileage. If anything the 3.08 and down ratios are very hard on the transmission if he races it.
I have a friend who used to insist on using 2.56 gears in his stock Pontiac rear in his 455 Firebird. He continuously blew up transmissions from it. In a Chevy 12 bolt, you can get 3.31's which is a great all around ratio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts