Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
T/S 368E
28,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a very nice Miller 250 TIG, but I need something to work on my old company trucks, trailers.
Mostly rust repair, ladder racks, holders, shelves etc etc.
So I highly doubt I need a full 250 MIG for mainly sheetmetal and some 1/8" stuff.

What would be a quality brand and what size would you suggest??
I'm hoping to use it on a 5000-6500 Onan if an emergency in the field ever arises.
I definitely don't want a gasless model.

Thanks Guys, appreciate any real world advice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Miller millermatic 141 or a Lincoln 140c with .023-.025 ER70S6 wire. Get a 150 75/25 bottle. Both machines are good quality. Another one to consider would be the Esab 141.

·
T/S 368E
28,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Excellent, gives me a place to start, thanks.

On another forum someone suggested a small hobart.
They keep those in stock at Farm & Fleet, are they worth a damn??

·
Registered
16,241 Posts
I would look at the Harbour Freight 215 mig. It comes with really good reviews. The amperage you get for the price, means you haven't limited yourself. I wouldn't be to concerned about the "china" aspect, as there are some good china products out there. I have an everlast tig set up that has been very well reviewed for about 5 years now. I have a friend with one that has been beating the crap out of his for 7 years! For what you're doing, I don't think you can go wrong! MIGMax™ 215 Industrial Welder with 120/240 Volt Input

·
T/S 368E
28,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
T/S 368E
28,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

These Onans don't make 240 vac.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Hobart handlers are good machines. They are made by Miller with a cheaper drive system. At least the older ones were, not sure about current production models.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Everlast imig 140e 400 free shipping on amazon. Pretty solid machine and good tech support in California. Have two of they're tigs. Havent needed help but on forums people say they help

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I have one of the small Lincoln 110 welders. I use it regularly and it has held up well. I have had it for over 15 years. Run best with .025 wire. One thing about the 110 welders is you need to be real close to the power source. An extension cord really kills them

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Exactly! My little 110 welds awesome if I plug directly to an outlet. Add an extension cord to the mix and I have to turn the machine all the way up on its highest setting to weld in floorpans. Drawback of doing a K5 Blazer that's too tall to fit under my short garage doors. Just glad I didnt put the lift on when it was in the garage. That would have sucked! Lol

·
T/S 368E
28,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

It's set up for a hydraulic pump, the 4000 runs a 28 foot boom, the 5000 runs a 35 foot boom and the 6500 runs a 46 foot boom.
They throw the 120 vac on there since it's spinning anyway, might as well.
I've never seen a bucket truck with a 220 vac outlet??

Don't forget I'm poor, my trucks are older.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

It's set up for a hydraulic pump, the 4000 runs a 28 foot boom, the 5000 runs a 35 foot boom and the 6500 runs a 46 foot boom.
They throw the 120 vac on there since it's spinning anyway, might as well.
I've never seen a bucket truck with a 220 vac outlet??

Don't forget I'm poor, my trucks are older.

Some can be converted to 220. My 6.5 can be wired to run 220. Open up the compartment where all of the connections are located. On the back of the cover there is a schematic of the different voltages

·
T/S 368E
28,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Don't need 220, all my equipment is 120, and I just bought the baby welder, so I'm good to go.

Thanks for the tips Guys, appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Extension cord needs to be real heavy gauge to use on the Hobart Handle 120 volt. You can take out a diode on the board with a light weight extension. Where I bought mine, they fixed it on warranty and showed me how to do it myself.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hobart Handler 140 is the perfect starter machine. It's small, light, cheap, and you can get a teflon liner and rollers for it so you can do light aluminum work without needing a spool gun.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
75/25 gas and .023" wire used to help make that little Hobart welder think it was a bigger one. I welded up cracked heavy wall hydraulic pipes. Just needed Crack Finder spray to find the center and ends of the crack and V it out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Straight CO2 will generally get you increased weld heat/penetration. The resulting spatter spray with CO2 will be smaller sized spatter, but it will also be hotter, harder to remove/brush away, and more of them.

A 75/25 mix won't generate as much weld heat/penetration. The resulting spatter spray with 75/25 will be larger sized spatter, and it will be cooler, easier to remove/brush away, and less of them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts