Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine has a 468" Nova that's been sitting in his garage for about 5 years now. I have a 439" BBC in my 71 Chevelle (mid 11 sec car).

With 4.10's and 4000 stall (along with factory a/c), it is very street-able.

I have a QFT ss830 carb and Weiand Stealth intake.

He has 1050 Dominator with NOS Fogger kit and offered to trade with me, obviously me adding some cash. Both are rectangular port.

Two questions...(asked here due to overwhelmingly more traffic than any of the tech sections)

1. Jetted right for my 439 is a 1050 dominator decent/realistically use-able for an actual 90% "street" car?

2. How much is fair, on both sides, for me to add to the deal?

I shift at 6500 and trap at 6000-6100 so I'd surely need to swap back to my 3.73's or maybe 3.42's, which will be a bit more pleasant cruising and better suited for a 200 shot or so...I'm thinking

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas mileage will suck, but you can make 1050s run on the street. Plus you can clean the plugs with the fogger.
Believe it or not...it gets fairly decent mileage as it is. My old nitrous bottle filler still tells people about me going through 2 bottles in one day without ever actually racing...lol...just driving around having some fun...my plugs would stay clean I'd all but guarantee.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm still not sure why....A friend had a 327 with a 1050 on it. Total street car, ran fine, back in the 90's. ---He was good with the tune.

·
Capri For Sale
12,976 Posts
I ran a 1050 on my 427 in my capri for about three years on the street. Never a problem and not really that hard on gas considering the loose converter and 4.56 gears it had. I'm getting ready to put two dominators on my truck, it will be 90% street use too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
See you over at TC all the time.

I run an 1150 on the street. Gets 5 MPG but runs great, starts up fine hot or cold, very responsive, instantly blows tires off anytime at 40 or under with DR's. Sure you drive yours way more than me tho. Drove to the track last night no hiccups what so ever minus car hooks and then spins, 4 passes, drove home.

Wondering if a 1050 is a bit much for your setup? Sure you could make it work but gas mileage sucks.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Sounds like the suspension is unloading.

I run an 1150 on the street. Gets 5 MPG but runs great, starts up fine hot or cold, very responsive, instantly blows tires off anytime at 40 or under with DR's. Sure you drive yours way more than me tho. Drove to the track last night no hiccups what so ever minus car hooks and then spins, 4 passes, drove home.

Wondering if a 1050 is a bit much for your setup? Sure you could make it work but gas mileage sucks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I mainly just troll this site...lol.

My only concern is it being a little too big of a carb for my engine, like you said...

When I built the engine I had suggestions everywhere from a 750 to a 1050 but settled for the qft ss830 which after some dialing in and some mods by jmarkaudio, is very responsive now....

I forgot to add the that the intake with the dominator is a Team G single plane and right now I am on the fence about building a 496 over the winter...problem is this little 427 runs so well and has been 100% reliable...only issue was exceeding "critical speed" on the poor stock driveshaft a month ago...lol...

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Got a buddy with a 509 and a DaVinci 1050 on it. T400 and 3.42 gears in a 66 Chevelle. Drives it everywhere, and has zero problems with it. Throttle response is great, drivability is great, fuel mileage is not expected to be particularly stunning.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody have any opinion on dollar amount I should offer?

He's one who thinks his stuff is gold plated but I was thinking 600-800 tops...does that sound fair to both?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I sold the guy I was mentioning the DaVinci for 500. If I recall correctly.

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
I would go to the tech. section and find jmarkaudio. The man is a wizard all things carbureted. Great person too. Hes the one to get your answers from.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,633 Posts
WE RAN ONE ON THE STREET DURING DRAG WEEK.....VERY STREETABLE...NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would go to the tech. section and find jmarkaudio. The man is a wizard all things carbureted. Great person too. Hes the one to get your answers from.
No doubt. He modified my current carb a while back.

The 1050 just happens to be a part of the equation...the fogger kit is what I really wanted, but part of the deal is a carb/intake swap as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts