Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 69 camaro that has an aeromotive return style fuel system on , all braided AN lines etc and it keeps clogging the single 40micron filter that is between the pump and tank. i was told that a 100micron filter will be much more forgiving by a reliable source (its a carb car) and not to worry about the finer filter after the pump. is this what most of you guys run on a mild street car? when i pulled the tank the first time it had some debris that looked like from where we cut AN lines when building the system and i assumed we just did not flush it well enough BUT it keeps getting this shit in the tank also so have any of you guys ever seen a AN line start breaking down and coming apart? i have done quite a few systems and never had a problem but this is a pain in the ass! cant figure out the simple stuff :rolleyes:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lwhole system is new, it seems like the inside of the line(rubber lining) is crumbling apart by looking at the debris but cant tell for sure, i guess i could cut the line apart and slice it open and see, at this point it does not matter i guess. it has a 40micron between pump and tank, i did not know if it was to restrictive and i needed to go with a 100??

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
Lwhole system is new, it seems like the inside of the line(rubber lining) is crumbling apart by looking at the debris but cant tell for sure, i guess i could cut the line apart and slice it open and see, at this point it does not matter i guess. it has a 40micron between pump and tank, i did not know if it was to restrictive and i needed to go with a 100??
i would find out were the trash is coming from first.

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
Time to change your lines! I just went through this and ethanol is not your friend. My liner came apart too. Best part was the line was BRAND new but had no idea how long it was on my shelf indoors.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
My fuel system is an aeromotive return with no filters. A-2000 w/ a #12 feed and #10 supply and returns. I filter the fuel before the jugs. There is foam in the tank. The system is 5-6 years old and has always run race fuel in it. I always cap off the tank vent when it sits in the trailer so the fuel does not evaporate and leave the additives. Knock wooden head, never any issues other than cheap needle and seat o-rings shrinking during periods of non use. The last couple of years I remove the fuel lines from the carbs and spray wd -40 up the fittings to try to keep the o-rings soft.
This is Race fuel.
If you are using current pump fuel then all bets are off, find a teflon lined hose or alchohol compatible hose.

·
Registered
444 Posts
100 micron should be used on street/strip or drag car between cell and pump to allow enough fuel to get to the pump. And always use a bigger line from cell to pump. Electric pumps push fuel, so you want the least restrictive filter before the pump. After the pump, you can run a filter, or nothing at all. Remember , a 100 micron filter has much bigger orrifices that allows bigger particles to pass through it, but also free flows much better. For a street only driver, you would want a good filter between the pump and carb too. A 40 or 50 micron. The pump will push through that.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
On my Street Car I have a 100 micron Weldon Filter, then a Weldon 1100A Pump, and then a Weldon 25 micron Filter-it's all -8 going into my Hiliborn (and it's how Hilborn suggests you do it-this is an older drawing, but you get the idea)-

http://www.hilborninjection.com/PDF/fuel_system3.pdf

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
100 micron should be used on street/strip or drag car between cell and pump to allow enough fuel to get to the pump. And always use a bigger line from cell to pump. Electric pumps push fuel, so you want the least restrictive filter before the pump. After the pump, you can run a filter, or nothing at all. Remember , a 100 micron filter has much bigger orrifices that allows bigger particles to pass through it, but also free flows much better. For a street only driver, you would want a good filter between the pump and carb too. A 40 or 50 micron. The pump will push through that.
thanks! yea we had a 40micron between tank and pump and would have issues after driving a while so i will put it after the pump and the 100 i ordered before the pump like you said

1 - 16 of 16 Posts