Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Lucky you are somewhere high enough altitude that it will burn at all.

Another one of my Grandfather's friends had an old steering wheel rigged someway to engage the pawls on the flywheel in place of the JD hand crank. I guess to get a better grip than on the flywheel. Pretty sure you would want the spark to fire a little bit after TDC to hand start it, like starting a Model T or Model A Ford.

AvGas vaporizes so much easier, more completely and at lower temperature, than modern pump gas, particularly in a low compression engine like that, is likely why it runs better. :)
How does the 100LL run at 14-1?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Runs fine at 13.2, I have an additive with MMT I add one bottle to 55 gallons. If I ever get back out when I'm not running Q16 to test other carbs I plan to try it in my 15.5 to 1 SB2. With all the rain here lately no telling when that will be...

Mark, have you been able to test the 100 avgas on your 15-1 SB2?

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
All the time. I am using Race Gas Concentrate, 32 ounce can to a 55 gallon drum. My fastest 1/8 mile is a 4.71, 1.04 60' with a 1600 oval blade carb on Q16. My second fastest was 4.74 with a 2.250 throttle blade 4 barrel, 4.74 with 100LL and the additive. I run both at times, depending on the carb I'm testing, but the 100LL much cheaper and mot much slower...

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Mine has the recesses in the flywheel to start it by hand but always been too chicken. It has a starter so just use that. But man it loved that AV gas! Sounded totally different and had lots of power. I was waiting for it to blow up. Lol
I had a "B" no starter, used the flywheel all the time, not that bad. Start it on gas then flip the petcock to run it on kerosene, made a lot more power on kerosene. 1937 model.
Mine also has a Fairbanks Morse magneto,, only fired on power stroke so it did not have the usual JD popping sound.

·
Registered
257 Posts
All the time. I am using Race Gas Concentrate, 32 ounce can to a 55 gallon drum. My fastest 1/8 mile is a 4.71, 1.04 60' with a 1600 oval blade carb on Q16. My second fastest was 4.74 with a 2.250 throttle blade 4 barrel, 4.74 with 100LL and the additive. I run both at times, depending on the carb I'm testing, but the 100LL much cheaper and mot much slower...
2 weeks ago made back to back runs 100LL VS C12. 11.8:1 Compression 421 Pontiac.
Car ran within .004 of each other with the slight nod to C12. At 3.50 a gallon VS 12.00 I'll handle the .5HP loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been running 100ll in all my performance engines since 1998 with zero issues. If your motor doesn't need more octane you will be fine. I seriously beat the holy living shit out of my race/bounty hole truck and after nineteen years, no problems fuel related. You have nothing to worry about, worst case situation add an octane boost if needed. I noticed most of the guys running around talking about how 100ll is bad to use are either VP salesmen, or bought the line the sales men were pushing.

·
Registered
65,772 Posts
H & H was what the Underdog burned. It was blue in color and smelled good !!

Still have my H & H Pocket Dyno hand book. ;)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts