Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 reasons why Big Blocks suck..
  • Heavy as hell
  • Cannot make good power to CID numbers
  • Ugly as hell
  • Sound like shit going down the track
  • Owners care more about filling the fender wells with motor than they are with power
  • No RPM’s
  • Impressive dyno numbers and shitty real world ET numbers
  • Owners cry to have small blocks booted (NHRA being the biggest)
  • They do not like turbo chargers and can’t run back to back numbers with them
  • Owners all own the “101 reasons why I got my ass handed to me” hand guide

One reason why small blocks RULE!!

Because none of the above are true for a small block…

·
Registered
62 Posts
where can I get a dozen copies of “101 reasons why I got my ass handed to me by the Novaz Go -Kart” hand guide
OH YA dont worry I will be handing them out real soon ya all welcome to one.
:-D :-D :-D :lol: :lol: :evil: :evil:

·
from across the pond...
6,953 Posts
take the turbo off the small block and lets see the HP difference.try getting 890hp n/a on pump gas,low compression,stock type rockers,steel rods,single carb,wet sump etc.... even with a 434ci sbc.It makes good sense if you're on a budget(of sorts)to go BBC...i believe that is 103.... :-D

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
Monty

Lets see the Trucks were 358 CID, 1040 hp and went 7.50 et's @ 2300 LBS
And the Cars were 500 CID, 1400 hp and went 6.60 et's @ 2350 LBS

Hummmm... throw out the 50 LBS and they would go 6.50 et's
Wow that's a whole second faster.......

There's no replacement for cubic inch displacement!
(except for hairdryers)

What's not to like Monty.....

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn I must have been seeing things when the small blocks smashed all over them big blocks in Orlando... All I heard down there was.. "Mike Moran this.. Mike Moran that!!!" 4 twin turbo BBC's and Chucky walked away from them with his little single turbo'ed 400 CID SBF... :-D

Hey Ken, remember when the small blocks got banned from Pro Stock when they were smashing all them big blocks? <<< boy them BBC guys were crying!!! So someone said "Screw it" and brought out his little V-6 turbo combo and the BBC guy once again did what they do best.. Cried like little bitches.. :cry:

·
1,426 Posts
ok oK ok

We are talking about two different things here! You are talking about turbo this and turbo that. I'm talking about straight up power,
NO ADDERS!
For that there is no contest, big block all the way, sorry but it's true.

Now if you want to talk about power adders then lets talk small block for sure! Ain't nothin like a high winding, small block, hair dryer motor making a 6.4 pass!!!!!!

To put things into a better perspective lets just say that the fastest small car that you know of is who?

Mike Moran? 6.38 et @249 mph Is that fast? Hell Yeah! with 460 cubes I might add.

Now what is the fastest big block that you know of ?

Same class with a big block and NOS ran 5.9 something? Same type of fuel and nitrous. Some of the blower cars have run some 6.0's Same type of fuel and same type of power adder ( Got Boost ).
Lets not forget that the top fuel cars are all big blocks and they run 4.50's but I know that's not fair is it....

I'm just so glad that we all have different opinions about power plants and cars. Because if we all had the same cars and the same motors, what the fuck fun would all of this be? LOL !!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Food for thought, but what about a twin turbo electronic fuel injected sb running lets say 85% nitro. could it be done? how much power would it make? just thinking out loud

·
1,426 Posts
Justin

I don't think that electronic fuel injection is capable of handling that much fuel delivery. But mechanical would work. Then there is an issue with parts failure. BIG TIME PARTS FAILURE!

Maybe 40-50 percent. hell I don't know.
Anybody want to try this?

I once watched a VW bug motor run wide open throttle for 20 minutes or so before it blew up. Kind of impressed me!

·
Administrator
136,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to go back to Pro Stock. The small blocks were dominating the class. Yes they were N/A motors. The BBC guys cried and the SBC got banned..

Moran had a 600+ CID motor.. Depends on what day of the week you ask it will vary from 628 CID to 650 CID.. Might I add it had (2) 110 MM turbos?? Joe DeSilva ran a 6.39 at legal weight in a class setting that record with a 427 CID SB with (2) 88 MM turbos.. :shock:

CID for CID you can't beat a SBC!!! I think Mr. Huber proved it... :-D

·
1,426 Posts
Mikho your full of shit !

Hell your not even old enough to remember what happened in 1970-1971. In 1970 when NHRA anounced that there would be a new class, called Pro Stock, all of the Super Stock guys flooded into the class. All of the one that were not competitive anyway. So you had a bunch of Boss 429's, BBC's, and the 426 Hemi's. It was the small block guys that the class was intended for in the first place, they were crying like little babies NOT the big block guys!
So in 1970 late in the year NHRA made the decision to go with 358 cubic inched max. Making all of the big block cars that were specialy built in late 69-70 obsolete. I personaly know of two of these factory built cars that exist today. Gary Horton's "Going thing" Boss 429 Mustang and Fred Gibbs 69 Camaro.
When the class was not filled at several events NHRA decided to allow the big blocks in, I believe it was 74 or 75 ( not too sure about these years, pot smokin days.) When this happened the cars filled the field and the et's picked up dramatically!

So lets get the story correct!

Oh yeah, lets call Jim Huber up and tell him that Super Mod was going to be an all motor class and ask him what motor he would build without NOS?
One more thing! Just so you know where I stand on this issue: I think that any motor/car combination that can achieve the et's and MPH that these cars are doing today are just awesume!

I'm not running from no one either, I have a normal life where I go to bed at night with my lovely wife and get up at 6:00 AM to go to work. I'm not a wild, half baked kid that works second shift and parties the rest of the morning, sleeps till noon and does it again with a hang over the next day... ha ha ha those were the days...I miss them sometimes!
So you'll have to wait untill I get to a putor to respond!

·
YB REPO_MAN
3,539 Posts
Monty Mikho said:
Just to go back to Pro Stock. The small blocks were dominating the class. Yes they were N/A motors. The BBC guys cried and the SBC got banned..

Moran had a 600+ CID motor.. Depends on what day of the week you ask it will vary from 628 CID to 650 CID.. Might I add it had (2) 110 MM turbos?? Joe DeSilva ran a 6.39 at legal weight in a class setting that record with a 427 CID SB with (2) 88 MM turbos.. :shock:

CID for CID you can't beat a SBC!!! I think Mr. Huber proved it... :-D
:roll:

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I guess I'm just old and this probably doesn't have the first BIT OF FUCKIN relevence. But I thought it was pretty cool when Buddy Ingersoll Fucked everybody up in D/MP in the late '70's with a 292 ci smallblock that ran in the 8's with 2 DOMINATORS!!!!!!! cool stuff. Also remember who was responsible for getting turbos outlawed in the early '80s....(pre '82 500ci rule) Buddy is/was a BAD MAN!!!!!

somebody correct me if I'm wrong 8) I maybe showing signs of alzheimers...... :roll:

·
1,426 Posts
Good call Rod

Oh my God! I remember that car! He said he used to pull the stick at 9400 rpm's and we all laughed and said no fuckin way! He showed us!!!!

Then when he brought on the turbo car we all laughed again, only to stand there in awe after he made a pass!!!!! Didn't take NHRA long to outlaw that stuff.

That was some of the coolest shit I have ever seen, bar none!
Good call Rod.........

1 - 20 of 186 Posts