Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on a NA build that I'm starting on. I have a 10.7" KB Olds block with a 4.5" bore. The cylinder heads are Olds DRCE-1's with minimal port/chamber work, and I'm using an early Olds single 4 barrel manifold. The objective is to run low 9.0's- high 8's w/2900lbs big tired, back halved chassis, without having to lean on the motor. I'd like to keep the rpm range low....to in turn keep the maintenance low:smile:
Anyway I'm at the point of deciding what kinda stroke this thing is going to need. With the tall deck height my initial thought would be to go big....4.75"-5.00" but my concern is will the cylinder head/intake manifold support this much displacement? Or would I be smarter to go with less stroke/displacement, keeping in mind that the objective is to build a relatively low rpm piece.

FIRE AWAY.....

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I don't know much about the drce stuff except I was under the impression that you needed to use the drce block also which is of a shorter deck height than a stock 9.8 block.kinda makes sence since you are only building 500 cubes.With those heads if it don't make at least 1100 hp, I would be pulling it back apart.Should be easy to achieve.I also don't think you will run out of cylinder head if you build a 600 plus incher under them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody out there with specific knowledge related to a DRCE-1/KB Olds combo......I'd love to get some real world input from someone that has experience in the early DRCE stuff.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The early Olds DRCE components were good for their time, the cost to relive that old tech is not worth the effort as everything is custom.
Todays aftermarket is far better and way less cost per HP dollar.
If your want to run low 9s high 8s just build a SBO 440+CI and keep it all Olds, simple and dependable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brad, I think what your doing to develop a HP cylinder head for an OE Olds is great! And I hope they do well.......but putting together a Diesel block Olds, is just not what I'm looking to do.

There is no doubt that a DX based SBO is a good foundation, but I'd say it's a pretty "custom" deal as well, and probably just as costly, or more so than a KB Olds/DRCE.

Anyhow, back to my original question..............any engine builders out there with a background in the KB Olds/Olds DRCE.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would get in contact with Larry at EPD racing heads he did a lot of work and may even have developed the DRCE stuff google the name his contact info should show up. If not I can find it for you on Monday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts