Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is it worth doing? 400 cube all aluminum LS motor, YSi, 10rib, 8" crank with a 2.75" blower, 10.25CR, dual nozzle meth inj, and C-16.

Basically it's the same combo I ran-minus the A/A and running straight C-16 instead of pump 94.

I've heard the YSi prefers no cooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfxHsFUFOZc

I could lower the CR by changing to a .075 thick head gasket.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Might want to call up Rodney at AIS and ask him his opinion. I realize that you have alot of compression but C-16 with the addition of methanol injection seems like overkill . I may be wrong but it I would definetely ask Rodney his opinion.

·
Registered
784 Posts
My 2¢. I think you'll be fine but run at least an MSD 7 Series Ignition. I ran C16 with meth Injection, 9.5:1 BBC. Just start with a target A/F maybe a point richer than normal and tune from there.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2¢. I think you'll be fine but run at least an MSD 7 Series Ignition. I ran C16 with meth Injection, 9.5:1 BBC. Just start with a target A/F maybe a point richer than normal and tune from there.
The motor is 1 coil per/cyl so for ignition and it works great. On the 9.0 pass the AFR was 11.1 and the IAT at the end of the run was 78 degree's. This is with a #10 and a #15 nozzle.

From what I understand the YSi is so effecient it doesn't need a cooler.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The motor is 1 coil per/cyl so for ignition and it works great. On the 9.0 pass the AFR was 11.1 and the IAT at the end of the run was 78 degree's. This is with a #10 and a #15 nozzle.

From what I understand the YSi is so effecient it doesn't need a cooler.
Sounds like a very nice set-up. Good luck with it. Got any pics?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
should be okay, comp is a bit higher than I like
I appreciate the input Steve, if I swap over to .075 thick gasket from the .051 the CR will drop to 9.71.

Here is the setup-you can see the FMIC, I'll just replace this with a simple J-bend.

I actually have a F1R back on the car-but I figure I would just give the YSi on more shot

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
how fast you spinning the blower?? depends on IAT's.... remember, we have done that type of setup WITHOUT METH on renegade cars for years

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how fast you spinning the blower?? depends on IAT's.... remember, we have done that type of setup WITHOUT METH on renegade cars for years
Hi Bob, U guys set the bar real hi with these Renegade cars. In the 9.0 pass I was spinning the blower to 66k, I might be able to spin it too 70K with a larger crank pulley(running a 2.75 blower).

·
Registered
112 Posts
This ought to be interesting as it is a question I have been looking to answer myself..... will the combo be any faster with/without the A2A?

In the bit of testing I have done on my combo I saw a 75hp loss when I removed the A2A (24 x 12 x 4 Spearco core), despite 3psi gain (likely due to heat). The difference was so drastic I never bothered to run it at the track. Put the A2A back on an never looked back.

Has anyone gone faster by removing their A2A on a YSI?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The C16 will make up for no intercooler and will give you a big tuning window to work with. You can toss meth injection on it if you want to bring down those air charge temps as an added measure and even bigger tuning window.

Rodney

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can someone also explain why some people will tell you C-16 will burn too slow with the addition of meth .
Sort of like if a guy runs c16 in an engine that doesn't need racing fuel and is designed to run just fine on pump gas. it all depends on the build and where their at with their tune. Some guys are running into the limitations of C16 and can use the addition of a water methanol injection. While other may be running C16 on something that doesn't need that fuel to begin with. Then throwing a water methanol injection kit on is total over kill.

Rodney

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
Now if he would run Q16 with straight meth and can keep the inlet around it 100 would make more power. Most people don't realize you're adding fuel with these kits to the base tune up. You have to tune for all this. Maybe he can add some nitro to the meth:p

·
Registered
24,787 Posts
Sort of like if a guy runs c16 in an engine that doesn't need racing fuel and is designed to run just fine on pump gas. it all depends on the build and where their at with their tune. Some guys are running into the limitations of C16 and can use the addition of a water methanol injection. While other may be running C16 on something that doesn't need that fuel to begin with. Then throwing a water methanol injection kit on is total over kill.

Rodney
I guess there is alot of things to consider . I've read alot of stuff about AITs and C-16 . If ........ C-16 likes AITs in the 85 to 100 degree range , then it would be ideal to run a W/A intercooler to get temps down in that range . I'm not convinced that water/meth is better than a W/A so I chose not to go that route . Dont get me wrong , I own one of your kits , just dont use it anymore . But its one of those things you just hang on to . :)

Some would say my set-up doesnt need C-16 and W/A . I'm running a 9:1 sbc with 22psi max . I'm the kinda guy that likes to keep it safe so I run good gas . Plus I dont think I could make the power my set-up makes on pump gas and the W/A or water/meth . And I just dont trust the pump gas .

·
Registered
270 Posts
I guess there is alot of things to consider . I've read alot of stuff about AITs and C-16 . If ........ C-16 likes AITs in the 85 to 100 degree range , then it would be ideal to run a W/A intercooler to get temps down in that range . I'm not convinced that water/meth is better than a W/A so I chose not to go that route . Dont get me wrong , I own one of your kits , just dont use it anymore . But its one of those things you just hang on to . :)

Some would say my set-up doesnt need C-16 and W/A . I'm running a 9:1 sbc with 22psi max . I'm the kinda guy that likes to keep it safe so I run good gas . Plus I dont think I could make the power my set-up makes on pump gas and the W/A or water/meth . And I just dont trust the pump gas .
I hear you and yeah just as you already noted. C16 is a bit overkill for your combination. I have lots of guys with similiar number running pump gas, air to air intercooler and water methanol injection. For fuel injected setups we can set up the ECU to advance or retard the timing based on air temps. Works perfect. Even if the meth system failed the ECU would pull the timing you set it to.

Rodney

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This ought to be interesting as it is a question I have been looking to answer myself..... will the combo be any faster with/without the A2A?

In the bit of testing I have done on my combo I saw a 75hp loss when I removed the A2A (24 x 12 x 4 Spearco core), despite 3psi gain (likely due to heat). The difference was so drastic I never bothered to run it at the track. Put the A2A back on an never looked back.

Has anyone gone faster by removing their A2A on a YSI?
To update this thread I ran a best of [email protected] with the combo posted on pump gas and meth.

My thoughts were that maybe I'll pic up boost by removing the A2A -but the increase in heat would probably offset the increase in boost.

My IAT temps were 115-120 degrees as I crossed the strip, I was also using a Alky Control kit and using a #10 and #15 nozzle-nothing pre-blower.

I need to look at my burnout or the way i'm doing it. My IAT's will rise from 80 to 130 in the burnout-and then drop from there and gradually increase as I run down the track.

·
Registered
24,787 Posts
I hear you and yeah just as you already noted. C16 is a bit overkill for your combination. I have lots of guys with similiar number running pump gas, air to air intercooler and water methanol injection. For fuel injected setups we can set up the ECU to advance or retard the timing based on air temps. Works perfect. Even if the meth system failed the ECU would pull the timing you set it to.

Rodney
So your saying if I ran pump gas with my W/A with AITs in the 80-100 degree range , I could make the same power I'm making on 22psi with C-16 ? No water/meth ?

I'm at 28º of timing right now at 22psi .

I've been told by some that my timing is actually kinda high for C-16 . How could it make the same power on pump gas if I had to lower the timing ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts