Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a NA 10-11 second car...how much would 400# change the ET ?
Just a discussion I'm having with someone.

IF 2 cars are both the same (or same car with 400# added) how much more, if any, stall converter would be needed ?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
roughly .45-.50 i would think

·
Registered
510 Posts
^^Sounds about right. My new car is about 425lbs lighter than my last one. Last car went [email protected], and weighed 3216.

New car has the same motor with some changes. Makes about 50hp more, and weighs 2794. It went [email protected]

Take the 50hp away, and it's probably 4/10's or so.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Many variables come into play cam,gearing,tire size, but if a car is running 10.50s and you add 400#s your looking about a 1/2 second loss. Give or take.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have always been told for every 100lbs taken off you can gain a tenth

·
Registered
280 Posts
Might not help but here is what I did. My vega weighed 2810 with me in it. 5.00 gears and a 33 x 14 slick. My combo went 9.86 at 136. Pulled the motor, trans and converter and put it in my 83 Malibu wagon 3280 with me in it. 4.88 gears and 29 x 10 slick. Same motor, trans and converter 10.34 at 127.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So here's the deal. I copied a combo someone else was running...but not the "brands" of some parts.
My car is about 400# heavier.
I'm a full second off and am looking to where that may be coming from.
One is saying it's the converter....I have a hard time thinking that would be all it is. Yes, it could use a little tuning, and it's really hard to just throw $$$$ at it to the tune of $1K thinking this "might be" the problem.
The company that built my converter is out of business (Art Carr) so no help there.
Made a few calls to a few builders....sure they'll sell me one.

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
So here's the deal. I copied a combo someone else was running...but not the "brands" of some parts.
My car is about 400# heavier.
I'm a full second off and am looking to where that may be coming from.
One is saying it's the converter....I have a hard time thinking that would be all it is. Yes, it could use a little tuning, and it's really hard to just throw $$$$ at it to the tune of $1K thinking this "might be" the problem.
The company that built my converter is out of business (Art Carr) so no help there.
Made a few calls to a few builders....sure they'll sell me one.
then you copied nothing, a set of brodix is not the same as a set of iron eagle or AFR..a eagle rod is not the same as a callies
, a set of ross pistons is not the same as a set of srp..etc

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...he had an LY6, I took an LQ4 and added LS3 heads = same thing
His ATI vs. My Art Carr
His Holley vs. My Mighty Demon (both 750's)
His 2900# and my 33-3400#

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Well due to weight you may only be .5 off. Now since the converter is different and etc, you have other variables beside weight. Don't forget carbs are not all the same as in performance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts