Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
billy all the welding on the block are from the factory or you guys did that?
That's Dart and billet machining. It is virtually impossible to create a coolant cavity around the cylinders without butchering the deck. As you can see the deck has plenty of sealing surface while having adequate coolant transfer from the block to the heads. Dart left an open cavity for cylinder coolant passage and through CNC. The welded inside and outside plates close up said cavity.

If you look close, you'll note the valley pan bolt holes and upper 8mm head bolt holes are in a "separate" section (that is bolted on) as well. This just points to the complexity of an LS block in general.

I have some likes and some dislikes with the block but the dislikes lean more toward appearance than function. Over all, it's a badass piece and I like it a lot.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Hell since I know I cant afford it.... how much?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Aren't you the eternal pessimist... Way to take a dump on his thread.
I wasn't taking a "DUMP" on his thread? There will probably will be some issue's with this new block. Just like anything else new that is produced. Nothing is very rarely 100% on something like this!
Someone speaks the truth and they are taking a dump on someone! WOW!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wonder how many issues there will be with this new block??? It is a nice peice for sure. But like anything else new there is usually something not just right with them.
i will take a "dump" and agree with you. a lot of money when you can just get a iron lsx block. i'll take the weight;)

·
Registered
461 Posts
i will take a "dump" and agree with you. a lot of money when you can just get a iron lsx block. i'll take the weight;)
If there is any problem with the block we will resolve them. ;)

I thought alot about going to the LSX block. If you add up the cost of the block, machining(7/16 main studs,1/2 head studs, oiling,etc.), parts, its takes to get the LSX block to hold the power we plan on running, you would want to spend a little extra to save weight.

We race almost every weekend, if a little bit of cash takes us from 2cd to 1st, its all worth it. :-D

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Well said. I don't know much about this block but whats the estimated dimentions ith a great nitrous piston in it? 460ci? and whats it weigh now? and can you weigh it after machining? Thanks

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
If there is any problem with the block we will resolve them. ;)

I thought alot about going to the LSX block. If you add up the cost of the block, machining(7/16 main studs,1/2 head studs, oiling,etc.), parts, its takes to get the LSX block to hold the power we plan on running, you would want to spend a little extra to save weight.

We race almost every weekend, if a little bit of cash takes us from 2cd to 1st, its all worth it. :-D
Sweet peice!!

We are thinking the same thing only we are going to try the budget route haha! (9.8 deck Warhawk)

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Nice piece, Billy.

Assuming you're going with something like the newer splayed valve heads, how is a custom LSx like this "better" than, say, an aluminum SBC with CFE LSX heads?

Just preference? Sanctioning body?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Assuming you're going with something like the newer splayed valve heads, how is a custom LSx like this "better" than, say, an aluminum SBC with CFE LSX heads?
No splayed heads plans. Cast anything (aluminum, iron, steel, etc.) is porous and is weaker than billet. Cast aluminum blocks bulk up high stress area's to gain strength but become heavier in the process. Billet can have the same dimensions--even in the high stress area's--as an OEM block and still be superior in strength to the bulked up cast aluminum block and be lighter in the end. This LSX billet block weighs less than a stock aluminum LSx block with hard block fill. It's superior strength eliminates the need for block filler.

quickwrench said:
Just preference? Sanctioning body?
Not really, other than the DR Outlaw car we're building, we're LSx performance and try to keep it that way.

GMPP LSX block = 240-245lbs

Iron GM 6.0 block = 170lbs

Aluminum LS2/LS3 block = 90-100lbs

Warhawk block = 130lbs

Dart LSX billet = 115lbs.

The dollar amount we have tied up in the Dart block--machining and all-- is less than that of what we would have in a something like a Warhawk or GMPP LSX and finish machining.

Much thanks to Dart and Kurt Urban.

·
Registered
72 Posts
the thing that gets me is the claim its a bullet block. but once you cut it up and wield on it you defeat the purpose of having a solid stress relieved aluminum block. you still have a better pure metal start but cutting it up and wielding it back up is worse then having a cast block imo.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the thing that gets me is the claim its a bullet block. but once you cut it up and wield on it you defeat the purpose of having a solid stress relieved aluminum block. you still have a better pure metal start but cutting it up and wielding it back up is worse then having a cast block imo.
If you look at the area around were the side plates are welded on, there are perimeter bolt holes all around the plate. Why? The plates are the same as on virtually every billet engine block and bolted on. Without the provisions (open hole) in the sides of the block there is no way to create the water cavity around the cylinders. Why are these plates welded on instead of bolted on?

The original design was a 4 bolt block not a 6 bolt (pic below). With the additions of the outside head bolt bosses, a bolted on side plate would not have enough structural integrity to utilize the head bolts effectively. Therefore the bolt bosses where added to the side plate and the side plate welded on for structural purposes.

There is also no way for even 10 axis cnc mill to cut all that is going on in the lifter bore area with the upper rail in place due to the complexity of the LS engine block design.

If a couple of side plates and a one or two other bolt on pieces negates the "billet" block by definition and is for shit then people buying AJPE "billet" blocks are getting stiffed too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you look at the area around were the side plates are welded on, there are perimeter bolt holes all around the plate. Why? The plates are the same as on virtually every billet engine block and bolted on. Without the provisions (open hole) in the sides of the block there is no way to create the water cavity around the cylinders. Why are these plates welded on instead of bolted on?

The original design was a 4 bolt block not a 6 bolt (pic below). With the additions of the outside head bolt bosses, a bolted on side plate would not have enough structural integrity to utilize the head bolts effectively. Therefore the bolt bosses where added to the side plate and the side plate welded on for structural purposes.
i see what you are talking about. when i first saw the block i was under the impression the side structural was completely wielded on. not a wielded on plate to accommodate the extra head bolts. i seez why it is so;)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts