Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who is using a 1/2 ton truck to pull a enclosed 24-28 ft trailer? or should i just get a 3/4 ton

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
I own a half ton and we tow with dads duramax. We had a 24 and a 28...I couldnt imagine towing either one with my half ton fully loaded after using a diesel.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I towed my 24ft camper that weighed about 6000 loaded with my half ton and it pulled great, horrible fuel milage but was solid going down the road at interstate speeds. A nice weight distribution/sway control set up made a world of difference. Wouldnt have hesitated pulling it any distance other than fuel consumption.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/ <--- That is a lot cheaper than upgrading trucks. If I towed every weekend I would go 3/4 ton though, for me it was only once a month in the nicer months. I'd still use a equalizer on a 3/4 ton though if I did a lot of interstate towing in the flat ass area of the country that I live in. The wind can get nasty.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I've had a 3/4 ton 454, F250 7.3 Powerstroke, F250 6.0 Diesel, C1500 350, C1500 305 and now Ram 1500 5.9. All automatic transmissions. I've towed open and a 24ft with each. The C1500 with 305 was the only one that really struggled for lack of power. The C1500 with 350 was moving around a lot with no sway bars. Obviously none of the 3/4 tons had any problem. I currently tow with the Ram 1500. The only time you notice that it isn't as strong is going up steep inclines. I have towed to Florida and back twice from central IL. I didn't see any need to use a bigger truck. I guess it would depend on the suspension setup. The Ram also has a 5th wheel mount that I've never used. I have airbags for it but never bothered to put them on. It averages about 9mpg with a 24ft enclosed.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I tow a 24 ft flat front loaded with a 2800 lb race car and golf cart with a 04 Dodge 1500. I have no issues what so ever. Even better since I installed airbags and an equalizer hitch. Mileage sucks but I don't go far very often. Works well for me

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I tow my 22' with 1/2 ton AWD sierra Denali 6.2/6speed but I havnt gone over 100 miles one way with it loaded.it pulls fine to me but I don't run 80mph with it.it has been as heavy as 7500lbs plus trailer weight that I know of but usually less.

·
Banned
4,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it will be a ford and at least a 2012 or newer, either the ecoboost turbo but more then likes the 302

·
El-conquistador, sir
17,435 Posts
Here we go again everyone thinks you have to have a 1 ton to pull a trailer, diesel at that. Ive pulled my 24ft fully loaded car tools generator ATV fuel extra parts, etc, with a Toyota Tundra 4.7 for years. NEVER had a problem whatsoever. Ya if you want to run 80mph uphill take out another loan and buy a new truck But its not needed. I did get the add a leaf for the rear, but it sits level and pulls straight at 70MPH on the interstate.

By the way this is how our fore fathers did it.

·
Registered
10,371 Posts
I didn't pull a car hauler but we pulled a 28 foot travel trailer . All said and done it was 7000 lbs give or take a few hundred lbs
We drove 350 miles back and forth on hywy 87 in the adirondac mountain .
I own a 13 ecoboost and it did a great job . Love the ease as to with it pulled . We average 10 mpg . At 65/70 mph
I will say that air bags would of given a little help the the rest end load
2013 f1 ecoboost ,2x4 with towing package . 4 door with 6.5 box . I can pull 113000 lbs

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I pull a 26 foot fully loaded down with 3300 lb car
Total trailer weight over 10000 with my 2014 Chevy 1500
I put airbags on the truck and a load leveling hitch on it
Pulls great to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts